Sep 28, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
Ottawa Senators coach Paul MacLean implies that Jason Spezza would probably be playing Saturday night if it was a regular season game. Instead, the team is opting to let him heal up a minor groin injury, the Ottawa Citizen reports.
“Jason Spezza has a minor groin injury that we are managing to get him to Oct. 4 so he can play,” MacLean said. “We’re just making sure he’s ready to play the opener, which is more important than an exhibition game.”
The 30-year-old playmaker underwent back surgery this summer, so it’s a relief to hear that his issue is groin-related rather than a recurring back problem.
Injuries limited Spezza to five regular season games and three postseason contests in 2013 after he had a strong rebound year in 2011-12 (34 goals, 84 points in 80 games played).
If health permits for both Spezza and Milan Michalek, the Senators could have the option to put together one of the league’s most dangerous scoring lines with Bobby Ryan in the fold. (They haven’t committed one way or another yet.)
Whether MacLean decides to concentrate his power or spread the wealth, it’s obvious the team wants to see its captain as healthy as possible.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)