Sep 28, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
Ottawa Senators coach Paul MacLean implies that Jason Spezza would probably be playing Saturday night if it was a regular season game. Instead, the team is opting to let him heal up a minor groin injury, the Ottawa Citizen reports.
“Jason Spezza has a minor groin injury that we are managing to get him to Oct. 4 so he can play,” MacLean said. “We’re just making sure he’s ready to play the opener, which is more important than an exhibition game.”
The 30-year-old playmaker underwent back surgery this summer, so it’s a relief to hear that his issue is groin-related rather than a recurring back problem.
Injuries limited Spezza to five regular season games and three postseason contests in 2013 after he had a strong rebound year in 2011-12 (34 goals, 84 points in 80 games played).
If health permits for both Spezza and Milan Michalek, the Senators could have the option to put together one of the league’s most dangerous scoring lines with Bobby Ryan in the fold. (They haven’t committed one way or another yet.)
Whether MacLean decides to concentrate his power or spread the wealth, it’s obvious the team wants to see its captain as healthy as possible.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (102)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)