Sep 2, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
The 26-year-old forward reached the 30-goal mark for four consecutive seasons going into the 2013 campaign. That kind of goal scoring prowess is something MacLean feels the team has been lacking for quite a while.
But who will Ryan skate alongside in five-on-five situations? Playmaker Jason Spezza seems like a natural fit, but MacLean doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
“The chemistry (Ryan) gets, is it going to be with Jason Spezza or Kyle Turris or Mika (Zibanejad), whoever he gets the best chemistry with is who we’re going to play him with,” MacLean said, according to the Senators’ official website.
Regardless of who Ryan’s linemates end up being, this seems like a golden opportunity for him. In 2011-12 and 2013 respectively, Ryan ranked seventh on the Anaheim Ducks in power-play ice time, but he’s likely to play a much bigger role with the man advantage in Ottawa. That change alone could help him challenge his career-high of 35 goals.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)