Sep 2, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
The 26-year-old forward reached the 30-goal mark for four consecutive seasons going into the 2013 campaign. That kind of goal scoring prowess is something MacLean feels the team has been lacking for quite a while.
But who will Ryan skate alongside in five-on-five situations? Playmaker Jason Spezza seems like a natural fit, but MacLean doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
“The chemistry (Ryan) gets, is it going to be with Jason Spezza or Kyle Turris or Mika (Zibanejad), whoever he gets the best chemistry with is who we’re going to play him with,” MacLean said, according to the Senators’ official website.
Regardless of who Ryan’s linemates end up being, this seems like a golden opportunity for him. In 2011-12 and 2013 respectively, Ryan ranked seventh on the Anaheim Ducks in power-play ice time, but he’s likely to play a much bigger role with the man advantage in Ottawa. That change alone could help him challenge his career-high of 35 goals.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17