Sep 27, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
Jamie McBain knew a trade was coming. Although the circumstances in which he found out about the trade perhaps added some shock value.
As Chip Alexander of the News and Observer in Raleigh reports, McBain was at home watching the NHL Draft at the end of June when commissioner Gary Bettman called out his name as part of a trade with the Buffalo Sabres.
McBain, 25, struggled when the NHL regular season hastily began following the lockout. And at the draft, the Carolina Hurricanes shipped him to Buffalo in exchange for another blue liner in Andrej Sekera.
“I think Jamie will turn his game around next year,” Hurricanes’ general manager Jim Rutherford said after the trade.
“Unfortunately, he didn’t come to camp last year ready to play. He wasn’t in good shape, and because of that he didn’t have a good year. He got himself into the coach’s doghouse, and I really didn’t see that he was going to get himself out of it.”
McBain, again, wasn’t surprised that a deal involving him had been made. But that doesn’t hinder the fact he’s looking to have a rebound season for the Sabres.
“I had almost prepared myself for it to happen, so there was not a whole lot of shock involved. They moved in a different direction, it was the route they wanted to go and I was not a piece of that puzzle, so here I am,” McBain told the News & Observer in Raleigh.
“It’s one of those things it is what it is…I just took that as intrinsic motivation to continue to get better and kind of prove these guys wrong.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)