Sep 27, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
Jamie McBain knew a trade was coming. Although the circumstances in which he found out about the trade perhaps added some shock value.
As Chip Alexander of the News and Observer in Raleigh reports, McBain was at home watching the NHL Draft at the end of June when commissioner Gary Bettman called out his name as part of a trade with the Buffalo Sabres.
McBain, 25, struggled when the NHL regular season hastily began following the lockout. And at the draft, the Carolina Hurricanes shipped him to Buffalo in exchange for another blue liner in Andrej Sekera.
“I think Jamie will turn his game around next year,” Hurricanes’ general manager Jim Rutherford said after the trade.
“Unfortunately, he didn’t come to camp last year ready to play. He wasn’t in good shape, and because of that he didn’t have a good year. He got himself into the coach’s doghouse, and I really didn’t see that he was going to get himself out of it.”
McBain, again, wasn’t surprised that a deal involving him had been made. But that doesn’t hinder the fact he’s looking to have a rebound season for the Sabres.
“I had almost prepared myself for it to happen, so there was not a whole lot of shock involved. They moved in a different direction, it was the route they wanted to go and I was not a piece of that puzzle, so here I am,” McBain told the News & Observer in Raleigh.
“It’s one of those things it is what it is…I just took that as intrinsic motivation to continue to get better and kind of prove these guys wrong.”
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)