Sep 26, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
The rumors about the Florida Panthers sale are apparently true.
The team has called a press conference for Friday morning to announce the sale of the team. It’s believed New York businessman Vincent Viola is the man set to buy the franchise.
The Panthers became the team many suspected would be next on the relocation rumor mill after the Phoenix Coyotes were sold this summer, but with new owners as well as a sweetheart lease in Broward County, Florida the Panthers aren’t going anywhere.
The biggest step for Viola will be to get the Panthers back to relevance in South Florida. While the team made the playoffs two years ago, their last deep run in the postseason came in 1996 when they were swept by Colorado in the Stanley Cup Final. As it is, the team has made the playoffs just four times in 19 seasons.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)