Sep 26, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
The rumors about the Florida Panthers sale are apparently true.
The team has called a press conference for Friday morning to announce the sale of the team. It’s believed New York businessman Vincent Viola is the man set to buy the franchise.
The Panthers became the team many suspected would be next on the relocation rumor mill after the Phoenix Coyotes were sold this summer, but with new owners as well as a sweetheart lease in Broward County, Florida the Panthers aren’t going anywhere.
The biggest step for Viola will be to get the Panthers back to relevance in South Florida. While the team made the playoffs two years ago, their last deep run in the postseason came in 1996 when they were swept by Colorado in the Stanley Cup Final. As it is, the team has made the playoffs just four times in 19 seasons.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)