Sep 26, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
The rumors about the Florida Panthers sale are apparently true.
The team has called a press conference for Friday morning to announce the sale of the team. It’s believed New York businessman Vincent Viola is the man set to buy the franchise.
The Panthers became the team many suspected would be next on the relocation rumor mill after the Phoenix Coyotes were sold this summer, but with new owners as well as a sweetheart lease in Broward County, Florida the Panthers aren’t going anywhere.
The biggest step for Viola will be to get the Panthers back to relevance in South Florida. While the team made the playoffs two years ago, their last deep run in the postseason came in 1996 when they were swept by Colorado in the Stanley Cup Final. As it is, the team has made the playoffs just four times in 19 seasons.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 4
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)