Sep 26, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
The rumors about the Florida Panthers sale are apparently true.
The team has called a press conference for Friday morning to announce the sale of the team. It’s believed New York businessman Vincent Viola is the man set to buy the franchise.
The Panthers became the team many suspected would be next on the relocation rumor mill after the Phoenix Coyotes were sold this summer, but with new owners as well as a sweetheart lease in Broward County, Florida the Panthers aren’t going anywhere.
The biggest step for Viola will be to get the Panthers back to relevance in South Florida. While the team made the playoffs two years ago, their last deep run in the postseason came in 1996 when they were swept by Colorado in the Stanley Cup Final. As it is, the team has made the playoffs just four times in 19 seasons.
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 3
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18