Sep 24, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel reports via Twitter:
News that the Panthers were on the verge of being sold broke last week, with New York businessman Vincent Viola reportedly expected to take over the reins from current majority owner Cliff Viner.
“I know the two parties are working very hard on the transaction,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said yesterday. “They’re going to try to consummate that as quickly as possible.”
The Panthers are not expected to move out of Sunrise as part of this change in ownership. Expect Friday’s press conference to address that issue, as there’s been a good deal of speculation about the club’s future in its current market.
Per CapGeek, Florida has the fourth-lowest payroll in the NHL for the upcoming season, ahead of only the Senators, Islanders, and Flames. Expect the issue of spending — i.e. is ownership willing to increase it? — to come up Friday as well.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (135)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)