Sep 24, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel reports via Twitter:
News that the Panthers were on the verge of being sold broke last week, with New York businessman Vincent Viola reportedly expected to take over the reins from current majority owner Cliff Viner.
“I know the two parties are working very hard on the transaction,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said yesterday. “They’re going to try to consummate that as quickly as possible.”
The Panthers are not expected to move out of Sunrise as part of this change in ownership. Expect Friday’s press conference to address that issue, as there’s been a good deal of speculation about the club’s future in its current market.
Per CapGeek, Florida has the fourth-lowest payroll in the NHL for the upcoming season, ahead of only the Senators, Islanders, and Flames. Expect the issue of spending — i.e. is ownership willing to increase it? — to come up Friday as well.
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 0
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)