Sep 25, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
It’s possible that two landmark moments might happen for the Florida Panthers in the same week, if not day or two, as TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that Tim Thomas is expected to sign with the team once the franchise sale is complete.
Word circulated on Tuesday that the ownership change might be announced on Friday, yet Dreger states that it’s possible that the 39-year-old might make his preseason debut on Thursday.
To put it mildly, his work should be fascinating to watch in 2013-14.
Certainly, there are big reasons to believe things won’t go well. He no longer plays in Boston, which means no more Zdeno Chara cleaning things up; as offensively gifted as Brian Campbell is, Florida doesn’t employ a defenseman in Chara’s zip code. Just as importantly, the unorthodox goalie missed a full season of NHL action, so it wouldn’t be shocking if he’s rusty.
Still, it would be foolish to assume that Thomas can’t overcome long odds. He’s done so just about his entire career.
Not many award-winning goalies get their first real shots at NHL reps in their early 30’s, yet Thomas has two Vezina Trophies, one Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe to his name.
Even his “bad” years have been pretty good, aside from a mediocre 2006-07 season (.905 save percentage, 30-29-4 record).
This Panthers team isn’t going to scare many people on paper, but Thomas ranks among the handful of goalies who might be able to make them pesky again.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)