Sep 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Veteran NHL netminder Jose Theodore has received a contract offer from KHL club Avangard Omsk, according to Andrey Osadchenko of The Hockey News.
The report was first brought to light by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who noted Theodore has an offer “to play in the KHL,” failing to specify what team expressed interest.
Theodore, 37, has spent the last two seasons in Florida, playing a key role in the Panthers’ surprising playoff appearance in 2011-12. He posted a 22-16-11 record with a 2.46 GAA and .917 save percentage as Florida captured its first-ever Southeast Division banner.
Last season was a wash — he only appeared in 15 games before suffering a season-ending groin tear — and he’s had trouble finding work ever since.
Theodore declined an invite to Florida’s camp on a PTO in mid-September and, prior to that, was linked to the Bruins for a potential backup gig (rumors that were quickly shot down).
There’s a chance the former Hart Trophy winner might hold out for a NHL opportunity to arise. Pittsburgh may need goaltending depth with Tomas Vokoun on the shelf, and the Canucks could be looking for veteran help behind Roberto Luongo after Eddie Lack was shelled for five goals in a loss to San Jose on Tuesday night.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 26
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)