Sep 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Veteran NHL netminder Jose Theodore has received a contract offer from KHL club Avangard Omsk, according to Andrey Osadchenko of The Hockey News.
The report was first brought to light by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who noted Theodore has an offer “to play in the KHL,” failing to specify what team expressed interest.
Theodore, 37, has spent the last two seasons in Florida, playing a key role in the Panthers’ surprising playoff appearance in 2011-12. He posted a 22-16-11 record with a 2.46 GAA and .917 save percentage as Florida captured its first-ever Southeast Division banner.
Last season was a wash — he only appeared in 15 games before suffering a season-ending groin tear — and he’s had trouble finding work ever since.
Theodore declined an invite to Florida’s camp on a PTO in mid-September and, prior to that, was linked to the Bruins for a potential backup gig (rumors that were quickly shot down).
There’s a chance the former Hart Trophy winner might hold out for a NHL opportunity to arise. Pittsburgh may need goaltending depth with Tomas Vokoun on the shelf, and the Canucks could be looking for veteran help behind Roberto Luongo after Eddie Lack was shelled for five goals in a loss to San Jose on Tuesday night.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 52
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 41
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 45
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)