Aug 18, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
For a while, it looked like inexperienced netminder Chad Johnson might be Tuukka Rask‘s backup in Boston. While it’s by no means a done deal, TVA Sports reports that the Bruins are closing in on a one-year contract with veteran goalie Jose Theodore.
The pact is expected to fall somewhere between $800K and $1 million, according to the report.
Theodore, 36, has 648 regular season games under his belt, including a particularly injury-prone and difficult 2013 season with the Florida Panthers. He generated nice numbers as a backup in Florida and Minnesota the previous two seasons, however, so he could very well provide Rask with a nice safety net.
(He also has a Hart Trophy on his resume.)
It’s unclear what this means for Johnson if this deal does come to fruition. He has a one-way deal worth $600K, so perhaps the Bruins will be comfortable stashing him in the AHL.
Then again, Theodore faced some serious injury problems last season, so Johnson might still receive reps at the NHL level this season.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)