Aug 18, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
For a while, it looked like inexperienced netminder Chad Johnson might be Tuukka Rask‘s backup in Boston. While it’s by no means a done deal, TVA Sports reports that the Bruins are closing in on a one-year contract with veteran goalie Jose Theodore.
The pact is expected to fall somewhere between $800K and $1 million, according to the report.
Theodore, 36, has 648 regular season games under his belt, including a particularly injury-prone and difficult 2013 season with the Florida Panthers. He generated nice numbers as a backup in Florida and Minnesota the previous two seasons, however, so he could very well provide Rask with a nice safety net.
(He also has a Hart Trophy on his resume.)
It’s unclear what this means for Johnson if this deal does come to fruition. He has a one-way deal worth $600K, so perhaps the Bruins will be comfortable stashing him in the AHL.
Then again, Theodore faced some serious injury problems last season, so Johnson might still receive reps at the NHL level this season.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 2
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 0
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 13
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)