Sep 21, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
With the announcement of the Washington Capitals hosting the 2015 Winter Classic, the speculation on just where the game is played can begin. While the Caps will host it, who they’re playing and where they’ll play the game is still to be decided.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley was on hand at Capitals Convention for today’s announcement, and NHL Chief Operating Officer John Collins says there are four possible locations in the region they’re looking at.
“Obviously, Nationals Park, with the relationship with Ted [Leonsis], but also the fact it’s a new ballpark [opened in 2008]. It’s a phenomenal ballpark. It’s downtown, it’s got a lot of the charm and element we like.
“We’ve been there and we know how good a ballpark it is. It’s available. I don’t think they’re playing baseball January 1. I would say that would be one of the first. But we’ll look at RFK. We’ll talk to FedEx. We’ll look at Camden Yards. We have blue skies for a little while and then we’ll focus on getting a deal done with one of the venues.”
The mention of Camden Yards in Baltimore is a curious one as it’s the more picturesque of the two baseball stadiums, yet Nationals Park is located in downtown Washington. Considering all Caps owner Ted Leonsis has done to get the game in Washington, you’d think he’d want it actually in the city, but he says that decision is up to the NHL and that’s OK.
Both FedEx Field and RFK Stadium would offer more seating than either Nats Park or Camden Yards, but the NFL schedule could keep them out of FedEx and RFK’s lack of aesthetics might keep the NHL away from there.
If they want a football stadium and they’re already scoping out Baltimore, perhaps M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, could be in play.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 3
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 52
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)