Sep 21, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
With the announcement of the Washington Capitals hosting the 2015 Winter Classic, the speculation on just where the game is played can begin. While the Caps will host it, who they’re playing and where they’ll play the game is still to be decided.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley was on hand at Capitals Convention for today’s announcement, and NHL Chief Operating Officer John Collins says there are four possible locations in the region they’re looking at.
“Obviously, Nationals Park, with the relationship with Ted [Leonsis], but also the fact it’s a new ballpark [opened in 2008]. It’s a phenomenal ballpark. It’s downtown, it’s got a lot of the charm and element we like.
“We’ve been there and we know how good a ballpark it is. It’s available. I don’t think they’re playing baseball January 1. I would say that would be one of the first. But we’ll look at RFK. We’ll talk to FedEx. We’ll look at Camden Yards. We have blue skies for a little while and then we’ll focus on getting a deal done with one of the venues.”
The mention of Camden Yards in Baltimore is a curious one as it’s the more picturesque of the two baseball stadiums, yet Nationals Park is located in downtown Washington. Considering all Caps owner Ted Leonsis has done to get the game in Washington, you’d think he’d want it actually in the city, but he says that decision is up to the NHL and that’s OK.
Both FedEx Field and RFK Stadium would offer more seating than either Nats Park or Camden Yards, but the NFL schedule could keep them out of FedEx and RFK’s lack of aesthetics might keep the NHL away from there.
If they want a football stadium and they’re already scoping out Baltimore, perhaps M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, could be in play.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)