Sep 21, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
It turns out all the speculation was true for the Washington Capitals.
Team owner Ted Leonsis announced at the team’s Capitals Convention that they will be hosting the Winter Classic in Washington, D.C. on January 1, 2015. Leonsis says he’s happy to reward his fans with a great event.
“We are extremely excited to host the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and bring this great event to the D.C. area,” Leonsis said. “Our great fan base deserves to experience the magnificence of an outdoor game. We are thrilled to once again be part of this great event.”
A venue and an opponent for the event are still needed, but it’s believed Nationals Park in Washington is at the front of the line. FedEx Field and RFK Stadium could also be possibilities.
As for the opponent, it’s believed the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins are the favorites to face the Capitals, but that will be determined at a later date.
The last we saw of the Capitals in the Winter Classic was back in 2011 in Pittsburgh at Heinz Field against the Penguins. That day was overshadowed by not just warm weather and rain but also by the concussion suffered by Pens captain Sidney Crosby.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)