Sep 21, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
It turns out all the speculation was true for the Washington Capitals.
Team owner Ted Leonsis announced at the team’s Capitals Convention that they will be hosting the Winter Classic in Washington, D.C. on January 1, 2015. Leonsis says he’s happy to reward his fans with a great event.
“We are extremely excited to host the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and bring this great event to the D.C. area,” Leonsis said. “Our great fan base deserves to experience the magnificence of an outdoor game. We are thrilled to once again be part of this great event.”
A venue and an opponent for the event are still needed, but it’s believed Nationals Park in Washington is at the front of the line. FedEx Field and RFK Stadium could also be possibilities.
As for the opponent, it’s believed the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins are the favorites to face the Capitals, but that will be determined at a later date.
The last we saw of the Capitals in the Winter Classic was back in 2011 in Pittsburgh at Heinz Field against the Penguins. That day was overshadowed by not just warm weather and rain but also by the concussion suffered by Pens captain Sidney Crosby.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)