Sep 21, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
It turns out all the speculation was true for the Washington Capitals.
Team owner Ted Leonsis announced at the team’s Capitals Convention that they will be hosting the Winter Classic in Washington, D.C. on January 1, 2015. Leonsis says he’s happy to reward his fans with a great event.
“We are extremely excited to host the 2015 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and bring this great event to the D.C. area,” Leonsis said. “Our great fan base deserves to experience the magnificence of an outdoor game. We are thrilled to once again be part of this great event.”
A venue and an opponent for the event are still needed, but it’s believed Nationals Park in Washington is at the front of the line. FedEx Field and RFK Stadium could also be possibilities.
As for the opponent, it’s believed the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins are the favorites to face the Capitals, but that will be determined at a later date.
The last we saw of the Capitals in the Winter Classic was back in 2011 in Pittsburgh at Heinz Field against the Penguins. That day was overshadowed by not just warm weather and rain but also by the concussion suffered by Pens captain Sidney Crosby.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)