Sep 12, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
New head coach John Tortorella didn’t waste any time making his presence felt today at Canucks training camp. Below are some quotes from Vancouver players following this morning’s on-ice testing session.
Veteran forward Alex Burrows: “For me it wasn’t the cardio. It was the legs. Your legs are just fried after a few laps.”
Captain Henrik Sedin: “Tough, very tough.”
First-round draft pick Bo Horvat: “This camp is tough. Today’s skate is like nothing I’ve been through.”
Roberto Luongo: “I bet they don’t have to do this at Panthers camp.”
OK, that last one was made up. But according to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, the Canucks were also asked to run two miles in 12 minutes, with only three managing to do so — the Sedins and new forward Mike Santorelli.
The Canucks shouldn’t be too surprised at what they’re being asked to do at camp. Tortorella’s demanding fitness-testing regimen has been well-documented.
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Feisty Flames dump Canucks, win first home playoff game in six years 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)