Sep 12, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
New head coach John Tortorella didn’t waste any time making his presence felt today at Canucks training camp. Below are some quotes from Vancouver players following this morning’s on-ice testing session.
Veteran forward Alex Burrows: “For me it wasn’t the cardio. It was the legs. Your legs are just fried after a few laps.”
Captain Henrik Sedin: “Tough, very tough.”
First-round draft pick Bo Horvat: “This camp is tough. Today’s skate is like nothing I’ve been through.”
Roberto Luongo: “I bet they don’t have to do this at Panthers camp.”
OK, that last one was made up. But according to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, the Canucks were also asked to run two miles in 12 minutes, with only three managing to do so — the Sedins and new forward Mike Santorelli.
The Canucks shouldn’t be too surprised at what they’re being asked to do at camp. Tortorella’s demanding fitness-testing regimen has been well-documented.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5