Sep 12, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
New head coach John Tortorella didn’t waste any time making his presence felt today at Canucks training camp. Below are some quotes from Vancouver players following this morning’s on-ice testing session.
Veteran forward Alex Burrows: “For me it wasn’t the cardio. It was the legs. Your legs are just fried after a few laps.”
Captain Henrik Sedin: “Tough, very tough.”
First-round draft pick Bo Horvat: “This camp is tough. Today’s skate is like nothing I’ve been through.”
Roberto Luongo: “I bet they don’t have to do this at Panthers camp.”
OK, that last one was made up. But according to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, the Canucks were also asked to run two miles in 12 minutes, with only three managing to do so — the Sedins and new forward Mike Santorelli.
The Canucks shouldn’t be too surprised at what they’re being asked to do at camp. Tortorella’s demanding fitness-testing regimen has been well-documented.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54