Country club closed — Torts puts Canucks through ‘tough, very tough’ fitness testing

Sep 12, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT

source:

New head coach John Tortorella didn’t waste any time making his presence felt today at Canucks training camp. Below are some quotes from Vancouver players following this morning’s on-ice testing session.

Veteran forward Alex Burrows: “For me it wasn’t the cardio. It was the legs. Your legs are just fried after a few laps.”

Captain Henrik Sedin: “Tough, very tough.”

First-round draft pick Bo Horvat: “This camp is tough. Today’s skate is like nothing I’ve been through.”

Roberto Luongo: “I bet they don’t have to do this at Panthers camp.”

OK, that last one was made up. But according to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, the Canucks were also asked to run two miles in 12 minutes, with only three managing to do so — the Sedins and new forward Mike Santorelli.

The Canucks shouldn’t be too surprised at what they’re being asked to do at camp. Tortorella’s demanding fitness-testing regimen has been well-documented.

Related: Sedins, Canucks to talk contract Thursday

1. 950003cups - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Nice!! That’s gonna help them a lot. I hope AV is easy on his rangers. I don’t want them in shape.

2. harv44 - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

That’s embarrassing that a team of professional athletes quite run 2 miles in less than 12 minutes.

• 19to77 - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Because your lap times put them all to shame, I’m sure.

• nightfireop - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

after trying it myself: 2 miles in 11 min 23 sec

how ’bout dem apples?

• timsabourin - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM

someone get this guy a contract already

• nightfireop - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM

tim, anybody in shape can run 2 miles in less than TWELVE minutes, i think that’s the point harv44 was trying to make.

• elvispocomo - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Anyone in shape can do it? How about when you’re 6’3″ 200+ pounds and train with strength and power over short shifts in mind? It’d be easy enough for someone who trains for fitness though, since they aren’t carrying extra muscle weight and train with longer intervals in mind.

• helladonks - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

its really not that hard at all.

• r4n6er - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Where does it say that they quit? I read that they didn’t make the time, but that doesnt mean that 15 people didn’t come in at 12:01.

• elvispocomo - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

From Dan Murphy, one of the main Canucks reporters:
        “apparently a handful more just missed the mark by 5-30 seconds. Not an easy task actually.”

• 950003cups - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM

It takes exactly a speed of 10 MPH to complete a 2 mile run in 12 minutes.

World record 2 mile run was Daniel Komen from (of course) Kenya which was just under 8 minutes, at an avg speed of 15.82 MPH.

They are trained to put out 110% effort for 43 seconds at a time. To do that you have to train for 7 minute bursts at a time.

The 12 minute burst was likely Tortorella just showing who’s boss. I’ll be he expected more than 3 to make it. But nonetheless, it’s not proper training for these type of athletes.

• mp1131211 - Sep 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Seems to me that Torts is an idiot and just wants to make them hurt.

• hockeyflow33 - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM

How does a two mile run win you a Cup?

• chanceoffleury1 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I did a project on the Penguins in like 10th grade. I chose to focus on Crosby for one of the sections in the report and it was like his 2nd or 3rd season. I read a book about him as one of the references for the project, and I remember reading about how much he DREADED running the one mile run every year. Like, a one mile run caused him so much mental anxiety, and he had to put himself into a certain state of mind just to complete it because it killed him that he isn’t a good runner and struggles with that part of the fitness evaluation.

Now I’m sure his mile time is not that bad. But I’m also sure to a professional athlete that is “supposed” to be in peak physical shape and the epitome of fitness, it kills them to do anything “average”. I mean, I run just under a 7 minute mile and I’m a 22 year old girl. In high school I ran xc and my avg 2 mile marker time was around 12:15/30ish range when I was running and training every day for that type of specific activity. Some people just aren’t good runners. It’s life. And a lot of hockey players with stocky builds and tree trunk legs would fit that category. Go look at the Olympics. The sprinters are bulky and muscular, the more distance you add the more slender and skinnier the runners get. Not being able to do something doesn’t necessarily mean they’re out of shape, they just aren’t built to do that type of exercise and training. There’s a reason most hockey players would be dragging a$$ and need a breather if you left them out there for a 2 or 3 minute shift of straight back and forth dump and chase.

3. amityvillefun - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Make them suffer Torts! Especially Alex “the finger chomper” Burrows…

I can imagine Torts going back and forth with the twins:

“Hey Henrik, get over here a minute.”

“Umm, it’s Daniel.”

“Whatever your face is. Get over here and lay down while the defense blasts some shots at you to block! I’ll make men out of you boys yet!”

4. hosewater2 - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM

So the Sedins did 2 miles in 12 minutes, and don’t do Twitter. Maybe they’re Torts’ style after all.

• amityvillefun - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Props to them for that. At least they are in shape.

5. jpelle82 - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

i dont like to hear whining about the physical demands put on professional athletes who earn millions of dollars. sorry, just doesnt sit well with me. regular people everywhere put themselves through tougher workouts for free.

• hosewater2 - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Agree. And dammit if you’re a professional basketball player, you should make every last free throw, because you are a professional.

• davebabychreturns - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Just curious, where’s the whining?

I see guys saying it’s tough, it’s not like any training camp they’ve been to etc.

I don’t see guys saying “Why is he making us dooo thisss, I don’t wannnnna, it’s not faaaaaaaair!” or anything that even resembles that.

But I don’t know, I’m not jealous of other people’s income or jobs so I probably don’t look as hard for things to be aggressively unsympathetic about.

• jpelle82 - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

“i bet they dont have to do this at panther’s camp”. sounds like whining to me. either way, you’re reaching with the jealousy jab. the minimum expectation for a professional athlete is to stay in shape, if they are commenting on the severity of the bare minimum requirements to do their job, it shows me they are soft and unjustly compensated because of the lack of work they put into their profession. i dont live on a cushy salary, if i dont sell i dont eat, so generally speaking i cant really empathize with someone who gets their salary no matter what kind of effort they put in and complains about it. especially in this profession where there are thousands of players out there who are working their butts off to maybe one day get a sniff of a professional training camp.

• comeonnowguys - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Jason admitted he was trolling with that Luongo quote in the next paragraph.

• jpelle82 - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

yup my bad, it wouldve been whining though

• elvispocomo - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

@jpelle82: Aren’t you glad you typed all that out since even if it were an actual quote, it’d be more likely to be in line with Luongo’s style of humour?

• 950003cups - Sep 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

@jpelle82

Remember that these guys are paid to perform on game nights. They aren’t paid based on how hard they practice. If they don’t perform they get waived. By the UFA age of 27 and/or 7 years in the league, the GM’s know if they can score or not, thus the contracts they get. Some GM’s take a risk and give RFA’s big money as well. As a Devils fan, I’ve seen Parise get paid before 27, and he never tailed off. Schneider makes a boatload for a back up goalie. But the other 99% of the league has to deal with what you and I deal with. If you and I can’t sell by that age, we will also be looking for work somewhere else.

• davebabychreturns - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

jpelle, I’m going through and thumbs-upping all of your posts in this because this was so damned entertaining.

6. imleftcoast - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

jpelle, I agree that so-called ‘low-skill’ jobs can be difficult and stressful. On the other hand, I don’t think the boys are whining about working hard; just acknowledging that it’s tough. Nothing ever gets you completely ready for hockey. The first time you hit the ice is always a tough workout.

7. luciddream7 - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Jpelle82 must be a little slow. The comment about the Florida training camp from Luongo was a joke. It was made up in the article. And to be one of those sad beings who equates the deservedness of salary between their own profession and that of professional athletes is quite pathetic. Perhaps you should have become a professional athlete. Poor career choice you made.

• jpelle82 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

hey dude, i get paid fairly for what i do, i’m not complaining. i just expect a pro athlete making millions to be able to run 2 miles in 12 minutes. i can do that and i’m self aware enough to know that i’m nothing more than a weekend warrior/beer league participant. that should be the easiest expectation to meet this year for the canucks, the fact they are even commenting on it is telling.

• kaptaanamerica - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM

The media asked them about torts famous conditioning routine.what do you expect them to say, “I do this in my spare time” how do you or anyone else know the details of the run, maybe it came at the end or middle of the day after they’d already been worked out for a few hours??

• jpelle82 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

if i was a fan of the canucks i would expect them to say, “i’ve been preparing for this all summer. its my job to be prepared for an 82 game season and the physical demands that come with it. this is exactly what i expected”

• r4n6er - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Since your not a Canucks fan why are you on this page?

• kaptaanamerica - Sep 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM

You’re a f@ing idiot for coming up with that lame response and any player who said that would sound like he rehearsed his answer.Try and come up with some realistic response next time. Guys like Kesler Sedins Burrows etc spent the summer getting ready.listen to local radio and you would have heard about it… stop watching so called national media for all your info, many those Toronto based reporters are totally clueless…

• 950003cups - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM

The most rehearsed answer is when a player gets either traded, or signs for big bucks. It goes something like this.

“I’m very excited to be a part of this franchise. I’m looking forward to working with the coach and I want to contribute in any way I can to help win games”

That’s usually when the traded player wants to say: “are you kidding me? I didn’t even know this was an actual franchise! Why am I here? What on earth did I do to deserve this? I’m convinced there is no god!”

Or the player who cashed in wants to really say “I’m RICH BIACH!!!”

• eddyguay - Sep 15, 2013 at 2:45 AM

What you’ve said is pretty ignorant, jpelle82. So what if a pro athlete is making millions or if he/she isn’t. I work in the sports side of the industry. If anything these tests are pretty subjective, never take them and think that these are standards that every athlete has to might or they’re not fit. If I had a 300-pound line backer doing this, chances are he’s not going to meet 2 miles in 12 minutes. It’s ridiculous to think he would with the amount of weight he carries and guess what? He’s not trained to do that. Neither would I ask a sprinter to do this and say he’s not physically fit if he doesn’t meet that standard. These are guys who have specialized in this sport for years. Do you know the physical demands of the sport of hockey and that most hockey players focus on? Generally speaking, speed endurance (maintain speed for about 45 seconds to a minute which is the normal shift of a hockey player) and explosive strength are the most important. Cardio really is not that high on the list. But if you actually followed the Canucks, you would not be surprised that they did met the standard by their style of play. They train accordingly and so do the rest of the players. And the guy who was supposedly whining is a freaking goalie. Somehow I don’t think anyone on the staff is expecting him to destroy any team records in a 12-minute run.

8. mp1131211 - Sep 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Hahaha! Great Luongo joke!

9. rpiotr01 - Sep 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM

That’s the Tortotella way – wear them down in September so there’s nothing left in May.

10. hockeyflow33 - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

For everyone whining about a 2 mile run, the players off-season training is based off of long sprints, not distance running. Hockey training is based off of explosive conditioning for 40 second shifts, not 12 minutes.

11. blomfeld - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM

“I bet they don’t have to do this at Panthers camp” … Roberto Luongo

and to think that you Canuckle heads still don’t get the deal eh ? … truly unbelievable …

• kirkmcleansbaby - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I guess you stopped reading right after that quote (and missed about half the comments), because Jason said that quote was false!

Also, didn’t you say you were 100% positive Luongo wasn’t going to show up for training camp!?! Great call on that one, on the mark per usual! Lol

• alswingman - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I think I get it now…. the admins allow blomfeld the shut-in, aging virgin to post because of the awkward stupidity factor. The level of his awkward stupidity is pretty amusing but he’s such a retard I’d rather see him emulsified by radioactive waste. Now that would be true entertainment.

On point, anyone who thinks running 2 miles in 15 minutes is easy is just bloated hot air. You’d have to be a regular runner and have all your breathing down, understand the pace of running. People who do not run for speed normally just can’t get up and go do it. Though, the boasting in this thread does not equal blomfled’s level of retardation.

• blomfeld - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM

“People who do not run for speed normally just can’t get up and go do it” …

Speak for yourself twinkle toes. As a sexy & physically fit 54 year old man, I still clock under 50 minutes for 5 x miles ‘casual’ running … and I only have 2 x legs as opposed to your 4 ! The bottom line you idiot is that anyone aged 30 or less who calls ‘sport’ their profession, should be ‘easily’ capable of turning in < 12 minutes for only 2 x miles. If not, then they're definitely not in the right field of employment. In fact, I would submit to you that this is the 'root' cause for your Casucks being so 'easily' eliminated in the first round in each of the the last two years ! Now go back to your pasture eh ? … baa .. baa .. baa !

12. frankenklein9009 - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:50 AM

These guys are not complaining simply stating it is hard. As for those who are surprised as to them not running two miles in 12 minutes well it seems to me that was after all they did on the ice. I’m not 100 percent sure but that would definitely factor in on your time

13. stepanup - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Winter is coming..How can you tell? The comments are heating up!

14. frankiesweep - Sep 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM

the sedin’s are going to be great shot blockers.. i can feel it.

15. darbley73 - Sep 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I wonder if Usain Bolt can run 2 miles in 12 minutes?

16. fahmundamahbalsaq - Sep 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM