Sep 7, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
It appears one of Brian Burke’s future decisions as the new president of hockey operations for the Calgary Flames will be whether or not to re-sign veteran forward Mike Cammalleri.
Cammalleri, 31, enters the 2013-2014 season with one year remaining on a five-year deal that pays him $7 million this season and is worth an annual cap hit of $6 million. (That’s according to Capgeek.com)
“We’ll see what they want to do. Truthfully, I got a lot of respect for (GM) Jay (Feaster) and (assistant GM) John (Weisbrod), I’ve had an open dialogue with them,” said Cammalleri, according to ESPN NHL.
“Nothing to report, but we’ll see what they want to do. I like it there, it’s a good place. I’m open (to an extension).”
Cammalleri’s best season came in 2008-09 with the Flames, when he scored a career-high 39 goals and 82 points.
Since then, he hasn’t played more than 67 games in a season, which has led to lower offensive numbers.
As stated yesterday on ProHockeyTalk, is Cammalleri someone the Flames want to bring back long term, especially considering his age and declining point production over the past five seasons?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)