Sep 7, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
It appears one of Brian Burke’s future decisions as the new president of hockey operations for the Calgary Flames will be whether or not to re-sign veteran forward Mike Cammalleri.
Cammalleri, 31, enters the 2013-2014 season with one year remaining on a five-year deal that pays him $7 million this season and is worth an annual cap hit of $6 million. (That’s according to Capgeek.com)
“We’ll see what they want to do. Truthfully, I got a lot of respect for (GM) Jay (Feaster) and (assistant GM) John (Weisbrod), I’ve had an open dialogue with them,” said Cammalleri, according to ESPN NHL.
“Nothing to report, but we’ll see what they want to do. I like it there, it’s a good place. I’m open (to an extension).”
Cammalleri’s best season came in 2008-09 with the Flames, when he scored a career-high 39 goals and 82 points.
Since then, he hasn’t played more than 67 games in a season, which has led to lower offensive numbers.
As stated yesterday on ProHockeyTalk, is Cammalleri someone the Flames want to bring back long term, especially considering his age and declining point production over the past five seasons?
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)