Sep 7, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
It appears one of Brian Burke’s future decisions as the new president of hockey operations for the Calgary Flames will be whether or not to re-sign veteran forward Mike Cammalleri.
Cammalleri, 31, enters the 2013-2014 season with one year remaining on a five-year deal that pays him $7 million this season and is worth an annual cap hit of $6 million. (That’s according to Capgeek.com)
“We’ll see what they want to do. Truthfully, I got a lot of respect for (GM) Jay (Feaster) and (assistant GM) John (Weisbrod), I’ve had an open dialogue with them,” said Cammalleri, according to ESPN NHL.
“Nothing to report, but we’ll see what they want to do. I like it there, it’s a good place. I’m open (to an extension).”
Cammalleri’s best season came in 2008-09 with the Flames, when he scored a career-high 39 goals and 82 points.
Since then, he hasn’t played more than 67 games in a season, which has led to lower offensive numbers.
As stated yesterday on ProHockeyTalk, is Cammalleri someone the Flames want to bring back long term, especially considering his age and declining point production over the past five seasons?
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)