Jun 28, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster wants everyone to know that Mike Cammalleri is available to be had.
Feaster met with the media this morning in New Jersey to discuss the team and the topic of what Cammalleri’s future in Calgary is came up. He says there’s not much trade interest in the veteran forward, but encourages GMs to pick up the phone if they’re curious.
“My number is in the directory,” Feaster said. “Give me a call.”
There are a couple reasons why other GMs aren’t burning up his phone to get Cammalleri for themselves.
First off, his salary cap hit next season is $6 million. While it’s the final year of his contract, that’s a monster cap hit to take on in a season where the cap is down to $64.3 million.
Secondly, he’s owed $7 million in salary next season on the final year of his contract. Some teams could stomach the large cap hit if they don’t have to pay out big salary. That’s far from the case here.
If the Flames want someone to take Cammalleri off their hands, they’re going to have to eat some cap space and/or salary dollars to make it work.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17