Jun 28, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster wants everyone to know that Mike Cammalleri is available to be had.
Feaster met with the media this morning in New Jersey to discuss the team and the topic of what Cammalleri’s future in Calgary is came up. He says there’s not much trade interest in the veteran forward, but encourages GMs to pick up the phone if they’re curious.
“My number is in the directory,” Feaster said. “Give me a call.”
There are a couple reasons why other GMs aren’t burning up his phone to get Cammalleri for themselves.
First off, his salary cap hit next season is $6 million. While it’s the final year of his contract, that’s a monster cap hit to take on in a season where the cap is down to $64.3 million.
Secondly, he’s owed $7 million in salary next season on the final year of his contract. Some teams could stomach the large cap hit if they don’t have to pay out big salary. That’s far from the case here.
If the Flames want someone to take Cammalleri off their hands, they’re going to have to eat some cap space and/or salary dollars to make it work.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32