Jun 28, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster wants everyone to know that Mike Cammalleri is available to be had.
Feaster met with the media this morning in New Jersey to discuss the team and the topic of what Cammalleri’s future in Calgary is came up. He says there’s not much trade interest in the veteran forward, but encourages GMs to pick up the phone if they’re curious.
“My number is in the directory,” Feaster said. “Give me a call.”
There are a couple reasons why other GMs aren’t burning up his phone to get Cammalleri for themselves.
First off, his salary cap hit next season is $6 million. While it’s the final year of his contract, that’s a monster cap hit to take on in a season where the cap is down to $64.3 million.
Secondly, he’s owed $7 million in salary next season on the final year of his contract. Some teams could stomach the large cap hit if they don’t have to pay out big salary. That’s far from the case here.
If the Flames want someone to take Cammalleri off their hands, they’re going to have to eat some cap space and/or salary dollars to make it work.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 0
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)