Jun 28, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster wants everyone to know that Mike Cammalleri is available to be had.
Feaster met with the media this morning in New Jersey to discuss the team and the topic of what Cammalleri’s future in Calgary is came up. He says there’s not much trade interest in the veteran forward, but encourages GMs to pick up the phone if they’re curious.
“My number is in the directory,” Feaster said. “Give me a call.”
There are a couple reasons why other GMs aren’t burning up his phone to get Cammalleri for themselves.
First off, his salary cap hit next season is $6 million. While it’s the final year of his contract, that’s a monster cap hit to take on in a season where the cap is down to $64.3 million.
Secondly, he’s owed $7 million in salary next season on the final year of his contract. Some teams could stomach the large cap hit if they don’t have to pay out big salary. That’s far from the case here.
If the Flames want someone to take Cammalleri off their hands, they’re going to have to eat some cap space and/or salary dollars to make it work.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)