Jun 28, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster wants everyone to know that Mike Cammalleri is available to be had.
Feaster met with the media this morning in New Jersey to discuss the team and the topic of what Cammalleri’s future in Calgary is came up. He says there’s not much trade interest in the veteran forward, but encourages GMs to pick up the phone if they’re curious.
“My number is in the directory,” Feaster said. “Give me a call.”
There are a couple reasons why other GMs aren’t burning up his phone to get Cammalleri for themselves.
First off, his salary cap hit next season is $6 million. While it’s the final year of his contract, that’s a monster cap hit to take on in a season where the cap is down to $64.3 million.
Secondly, he’s owed $7 million in salary next season on the final year of his contract. Some teams could stomach the large cap hit if they don’t have to pay out big salary. That’s far from the case here.
If the Flames want someone to take Cammalleri off their hands, they’re going to have to eat some cap space and/or salary dollars to make it work.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)