Luongo back in Vancouver: ‘I just want to make the best of it’

Sep 6, 2013, 7:45 PM EST

Colorado Avalanche v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

He’s back in Vancouver.

Yes, Roberto Luongo took to the ice with his Canucks teammates on Friday and, naturally, his appearance in a uniform many thought he’d never wear again and a city many thought he’d only return to as a member of another team was cause for a massive media gathering.

Although, apparently, he didn’t really answer the question that was on a lot of people’s minds: is he happy to be back in Vancouver?

I’ve said all along I want to play,” Luongo told reporters. “Now I have that opportunity.

“I want to take advantage of that and I want to win some games. I want to go as far as we can and hopefully win the Stanley Cup. It’s a big year for me.”

He comes back to Vancouver as the undisputed starting goaltender (we revert your attention to his ProHockeyTalk piece on the Canucks’ back-up situation).

Luongo revealed to TSN’s James Duthie in an interview that was aired in August that he would be returning to the Canucks, following weeks of silence on his part and speculation from media and fans as to his future in Vancouver.

The Canucks’ ongoing goaltending saga hit its climax at the NHL Draft in June, when the organization, unable to trade Luongo and his 12-year, $64 million contract, shipped fellow netminder Cory Schneider to the New Jersey Devils for the ninth overall pick.

Schneider had been given the starting goalie duties midway through Vancouver’s first-round playoff series with the L.A. Kings back in 2012, and had retained the title when the 2013 regular season resumed following the lockout.

1. loinstache - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Cam I honestly hope you realize how flagrant it is that you keep rehashing Luongo posts; we get it’s the off-season but this is just lazy… This contributes absolutely nothing compared to Jason’s earlier post. Its prospect training camp time like you mentioned in the Sabres prospect fight post.I ignore the douchey comment made in that thread – we actually care about hockey and want hockey tidbits, not tired stories that your co workers already covered.

• hockeyflow33 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Can we quit the whining. Honestly, if you don’t want to read the posts, don’t click them. They post well over one dozen posts per day, if you don’t like one, don’t read it.

2. blomfeld - Sep 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM

‘All he wanted to do was play’ …

yeah sure … and all Oswald wanted to do was return some ‘material’ to the Texas School Book Depository … you people are beyond belief as you make sheep look like atom crackers … and that’s actually quite ‘scary’ to be honest with you …

3. ron05342 - Sep 7, 2013 at 3:07 AM

“I just want to make the best of it.”

Translation:

“I just want to make the best of [it] a bad situation.”

4. swenny19 - Sep 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I hate blomfield

• blomfeld - Sep 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

“I hate blomfield” …

translation: I love Blomfeld !!!

it’s okay sweetheart, as I’m used to dealing with this 24/7 … :)

5. swenny19 - Sep 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Excuse me, blomfeld

6. superman4u2nv - Sep 8, 2013 at 3:42 AM

Lol loved the Oswald reference pretty Witty! Keep the great comments coming!

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches