Sep 5, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
Jonathan Huberdeau is bigger, healthier, and ready to go.
That’s the word out of Florida on Thursday as the reigning Calder Trophy winner — who underwent hip surgery in May — will be available when the Panthers open camp on Sept. 12.
“He’ll be ready for training camp,” Florida GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald.
Huberdeau, 20, spent a considerable amount of time rehabbing his hip this summer, and didn’t resume skating until Aug. 5. But he does appear to have put his off-ice time to good use — according to Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika, Huberdeau added 10 pounds of muscle to his frame.
That’s a big gain. Huberdeau played his rookie season at 6-foot-1, 177 pounds — yeah, pretty lanky — and the added bulk should help in his goal of improving all facets of his game.
“I want to help the team offensively and defensively,” he told NHL.com. “I just want to be a little bit more of a leader this year, since it is my second year.”
Should be noted that, like ’13 first-rounder Aleksander Barkov, Huberdeau is being held out of this weekend’s prospects tourney in Coral Springs, Fla.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)