Sep 5, 2013, 1:02 PM EST
Jonathan Huberdeau is bigger, healthier, and ready to go.
That’s the word out of Florida on Thursday as the reigning Calder Trophy winner — who underwent hip surgery in May — will be available when the Panthers open camp on Sept. 12.
“He’ll be ready for training camp,” Florida GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald.
Huberdeau, 20, spent a considerable amount of time rehabbing his hip this summer, and didn’t resume skating until Aug. 5. But he does appear to have put his off-ice time to good use — according to Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika, Huberdeau added 10 pounds of muscle to his frame.
That’s a big gain. Huberdeau played his rookie season at 6-foot-1, 177 pounds — yeah, pretty lanky — and the added bulk should help in his goal of improving all facets of his game.
“I want to help the team offensively and defensively,” he told NHL.com. “I just want to be a little bit more of a leader this year, since it is my second year.”
Should be noted that, like ’13 first-rounder Aleksander Barkov, Huberdeau is being held out of this weekend’s prospects tourney in Coral Springs, Fla.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)