Sep 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
Aleksander Barkov‘s debut in a Florida uniform will have to wait.
On Thursday, the Panthers announced that Barkov — the second overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — will be held out of this weekend’s prospects tournament in Coral Springs, Fla.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon made it pretty clear Barkov’s being held out as a precautionary measure, to ensure he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season.
“We’re looking at this long term; this is more of a need for us,” Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “They’re all good players. We’re very happy with [Barkov].
“He’s a big, strong left-handed shot centerman which we desperately needed in our system.”
Barkov, 18, had shoulder surgery in April and, while he did attend Florida’s July prospect camp, didn’t take part in any practices or the intra-squad scrimmage.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)