Sep 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
Aleksander Barkov‘s debut in a Florida uniform will have to wait.
On Thursday, the Panthers announced that Barkov — the second overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — will be held out of this weekend’s prospects tournament in Coral Springs, Fla.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon made it pretty clear Barkov’s being held out as a precautionary measure, to ensure he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season.
“We’re looking at this long term; this is more of a need for us,” Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “They’re all good players. We’re very happy with [Barkov].
“He’s a big, strong left-handed shot centerman which we desperately needed in our system.”
Barkov, 18, had shoulder surgery in April and, while he did attend Florida’s July prospect camp, didn’t take part in any practices or the intra-squad scrimmage.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 83
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (83)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)