Sep 4, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
Aleksander Barkov‘s debut in a Florida uniform will have to wait.
On Thursday, the Panthers announced that Barkov — the second overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft — will be held out of this weekend’s prospects tournament in Coral Springs, Fla.
Panthers GM Dale Tallon made it pretty clear Barkov’s being held out as a precautionary measure, to ensure he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season.
“We’re looking at this long term; this is more of a need for us,” Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “They’re all good players. We’re very happy with [Barkov].
“He’s a big, strong left-handed shot centerman which we desperately needed in our system.”
Barkov, 18, had shoulder surgery in April and, while he did attend Florida’s July prospect camp, didn’t take part in any practices or the intra-squad scrimmage.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 11
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 28
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 63
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)