Sep 3, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
A week ago, restricted free agent Nazem Kadri was frustrated with the stalled talks between his side and the Toronto Maple Leafs. We can only imagine how he must feel now after another week has passed without anything changing, based on TSN’s Darren Dreger’s report.
So with training camp rapidly approaching, it remains to be seen if the 22-year-old forward will be there after scoring 18 goals and 44 points in 48 games last season.
Kadri reportedly wants a six-year, $30 million contract, although he later denied that report before deciding to go quiet until the negotiations are over. Still, if he really wants anything close to that from an annual cap hit perspective, then the Toronto Maple Leafs are in a very difficult position.
They spent aggressively over the summer and consequently have just under $5 million in cap space left to sign Kadri and fellow restricted free agent Cody Franson. Keep in mind, Franson is also coming off a strong year where he tied for sixth among defensemen with 29 points in 45 games.
It will be a challenge to find a way to keep both of them under the cap, but there is still some time to make something work before the consequences of them remaining unsigned begin to stack.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)