Sep 3, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
A week ago, restricted free agent Nazem Kadri was frustrated with the stalled talks between his side and the Toronto Maple Leafs. We can only imagine how he must feel now after another week has passed without anything changing, based on TSN’s Darren Dreger’s report.
So with training camp rapidly approaching, it remains to be seen if the 22-year-old forward will be there after scoring 18 goals and 44 points in 48 games last season.
Kadri reportedly wants a six-year, $30 million contract, although he later denied that report before deciding to go quiet until the negotiations are over. Still, if he really wants anything close to that from an annual cap hit perspective, then the Toronto Maple Leafs are in a very difficult position.
They spent aggressively over the summer and consequently have just under $5 million in cap space left to sign Kadri and fellow restricted free agent Cody Franson. Keep in mind, Franson is also coming off a strong year where he tied for sixth among defensemen with 29 points in 45 games.
It will be a challenge to find a way to keep both of them under the cap, but there is still some time to make something work before the consequences of them remaining unsigned begin to stack.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 7
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 1
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 52
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 63
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)