Sep 3, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
A week ago, restricted free agent Nazem Kadri was frustrated with the stalled talks between his side and the Toronto Maple Leafs. We can only imagine how he must feel now after another week has passed without anything changing, based on TSN’s Darren Dreger’s report.
So with training camp rapidly approaching, it remains to be seen if the 22-year-old forward will be there after scoring 18 goals and 44 points in 48 games last season.
Kadri reportedly wants a six-year, $30 million contract, although he later denied that report before deciding to go quiet until the negotiations are over. Still, if he really wants anything close to that from an annual cap hit perspective, then the Toronto Maple Leafs are in a very difficult position.
They spent aggressively over the summer and consequently have just under $5 million in cap space left to sign Kadri and fellow restricted free agent Cody Franson. Keep in mind, Franson is also coming off a strong year where he tied for sixth among defensemen with 29 points in 45 games.
It will be a challenge to find a way to keep both of them under the cap, but there is still some time to make something work before the consequences of them remaining unsigned begin to stack.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)