Sep 3, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
A week ago, restricted free agent Nazem Kadri was frustrated with the stalled talks between his side and the Toronto Maple Leafs. We can only imagine how he must feel now after another week has passed without anything changing, based on TSN’s Darren Dreger’s report.
So with training camp rapidly approaching, it remains to be seen if the 22-year-old forward will be there after scoring 18 goals and 44 points in 48 games last season.
Kadri reportedly wants a six-year, $30 million contract, although he later denied that report before deciding to go quiet until the negotiations are over. Still, if he really wants anything close to that from an annual cap hit perspective, then the Toronto Maple Leafs are in a very difficult position.
They spent aggressively over the summer and consequently have just under $5 million in cap space left to sign Kadri and fellow restricted free agent Cody Franson. Keep in mind, Franson is also coming off a strong year where he tied for sixth among defensemen with 29 points in 45 games.
It will be a challenge to find a way to keep both of them under the cap, but there is still some time to make something work before the consequences of them remaining unsigned begin to stack.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)