Sep 3, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
A week ago, restricted free agent Nazem Kadri was frustrated with the stalled talks between his side and the Toronto Maple Leafs. We can only imagine how he must feel now after another week has passed without anything changing, based on TSN’s Darren Dreger’s report.
So with training camp rapidly approaching, it remains to be seen if the 22-year-old forward will be there after scoring 18 goals and 44 points in 48 games last season.
Kadri reportedly wants a six-year, $30 million contract, although he later denied that report before deciding to go quiet until the negotiations are over. Still, if he really wants anything close to that from an annual cap hit perspective, then the Toronto Maple Leafs are in a very difficult position.
They spent aggressively over the summer and consequently have just under $5 million in cap space left to sign Kadri and fellow restricted free agent Cody Franson. Keep in mind, Franson is also coming off a strong year where he tied for sixth among defensemen with 29 points in 45 games.
It will be a challenge to find a way to keep both of them under the cap, but there is still some time to make something work before the consequences of them remaining unsigned begin to stack.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)