Aug 28, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
Nazem Kadri admits his lack of a new deal with Toronto is starting to weigh on him.
“You want to be with the team, especially with all the guys starting to come back,” he told Sportsnet on Wednesday. “It’s a little frustrating, you know, the closer it comes [to training camp beginning] but I’m staying patient and don’t have much to worry about.”
Kadri refused to say whether he was looking for a short- or long-term deal, saying only that the offer tabled was “reasonable.” He also seemed to indicate the ball was in Toronto’s court as far as moving forward with negotiations.
“It’s really up to them what they want to do with my future,” he explained.
Toronto has just under $5 million in available cap space for next season with Kadri and RFA defenseman Cody Franson still unsigned. Last week, fellow RFA Adam Henrique inked a six-year, $24 million extension with New Jersey, and that was widely considered to be a comparable to Kadri’s deal. Kadri has 63 points in 99 NHL contests; Henrique has 67 in 117.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)