Aug 27, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
The good news for the New York Rangers is that Ryan Callahan‘s recovering well from shoulder surgery.
The bad news? He’s still slated to miss the start of next season.
That’s what the Rangers captain told reporters at Team USA’s Olympic orientation camp in Virgina, explaining his availability for New York’s season-opening game on Oct. 3 is in doubt.
“That’s definitely in question,” he said, as per NorthJersey.com. “Like I said, I can’t tell you exactly when I’m going to be ready, but as it comes closer, we’ll know more.”
As per Newsday, Callahan confirmed there’s been no setbacks from his surgery (in mid-May) to repair a torn labrum. The injury was quite severe — Rangers GM Glen Sather estimated Callahan separated the shoulder “eight or nine times” last season — so it’s not surprising to hear both Callahan and the club are taking a cautious approach to his comeback.
“I plan on starting training camp just the same as everybody else, obviously with no contact, though,” he explained. “I’ll be skating, shooting and things like that.
“But, in terms of contact, that’s still kind of unknown.”
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 10
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 27
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)