Aug 27, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
The good news for the New York Rangers is that Ryan Callahan‘s recovering well from shoulder surgery.
The bad news? He’s still slated to miss the start of next season.
That’s what the Rangers captain told reporters at Team USA’s Olympic orientation camp in Virgina, explaining his availability for New York’s season-opening game on Oct. 3 is in doubt.
“That’s definitely in question,” he said, as per NorthJersey.com. “Like I said, I can’t tell you exactly when I’m going to be ready, but as it comes closer, we’ll know more.”
As per Newsday, Callahan confirmed there’s been no setbacks from his surgery (in mid-May) to repair a torn labrum. The injury was quite severe — Rangers GM Glen Sather estimated Callahan separated the shoulder “eight or nine times” last season — so it’s not surprising to hear both Callahan and the club are taking a cautious approach to his comeback.
“I plan on starting training camp just the same as everybody else, obviously with no contact, though,” he explained. “I’ll be skating, shooting and things like that.
“But, in terms of contact, that’s still kind of unknown.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 5
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)