Aug 27, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
The good news for the New York Rangers is that Ryan Callahan‘s recovering well from shoulder surgery.
The bad news? He’s still slated to miss the start of next season.
That’s what the Rangers captain told reporters at Team USA’s Olympic orientation camp in Virgina, explaining his availability for New York’s season-opening game on Oct. 3 is in doubt.
“That’s definitely in question,” he said, as per NorthJersey.com. “Like I said, I can’t tell you exactly when I’m going to be ready, but as it comes closer, we’ll know more.”
As per Newsday, Callahan confirmed there’s been no setbacks from his surgery (in mid-May) to repair a torn labrum. The injury was quite severe — Rangers GM Glen Sather estimated Callahan separated the shoulder “eight or nine times” last season — so it’s not surprising to hear both Callahan and the club are taking a cautious approach to his comeback.
“I plan on starting training camp just the same as everybody else, obviously with no contact, though,” he explained. “I’ll be skating, shooting and things like that.
“But, in terms of contact, that’s still kind of unknown.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)