Jun 21, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Upon meeting the New York media on Friday, new Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said that — if everything he’s heard is true — Ryan Callahan will remain the Blueshirts’ captain.
Sounds like Vigneault’s been talking to Glen Sather.
On Wednesday, the Rangers’ GM praised Callahan’s ability to play through pain during the 2013 campaign, dealing with a reoccurring shoulder issue over the course of the regular season and playoffs.
“I can’t say we underachieved,” Sather told the New York Post. “Take a look at [Ryan] Callahan, he must have separated his shoulder eight or nine times during the year and he kept playing. Same with [Carl] Hagelin.
“These guys played with [courage].”
Callahan and Hagelin both underwent torn labrum surgeries following playoff elimination, and are expected to miss the first few weeks of next season.
Next season promises to be incredibly interesting for the 28-year-old captain.
He’s worn the “C” for the Rangers since 2011 and often epitomized the heart-and-soul, sacrifice-anything-to-win mentality former head coach John Tortorella loved.
But now, Callahan has a new head coach in Vigneault and is entering the final year of a three-year, $12.825 million deal, set to expire at the end of 2013-14.
Next summer will mark Callahan’s first kick at unrestricted free agency.
The right winger has proven to be a consistent goalscorer — 22, 19, 23, 29 and 16 over the last five seasons — and an extremely versatile player that’s able to kill penalties and block shots with the best of them.
It’ll be interesting to see how his future in the Big Apple plays out.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)