Aug 18, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
It’s been a busy offseason for Toronto Maple Leafs GM, but he still faces the challenge of re-signing Nazem Kadri and Cody Franson, which is an especially difficult task considering the team’s estimated $5 million in cap space.
Kadri admitted last week that his uncertain status would become more of a distraction as training camp approaches, yet Nonis seemed pretty calm about retaining the two players while discussing the matter with NHL.com.
“From our standpoint, we have enough cap space in our minds to get both players signed and that’s what we intend to do,” Nonis said on Friday. “There are definitely ways of making it work. That’s our intention.”
Nonis admits there have been “quiet periods” during the negotiations, but said that doesn’t bothering him, noting that lulls are “par for the course” in these types of discussions.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)