Aug 18, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
It’s been a busy offseason for Toronto Maple Leafs GM, but he still faces the challenge of re-signing Nazem Kadri and Cody Franson, which is an especially difficult task considering the team’s estimated $5 million in cap space.
Kadri admitted last week that his uncertain status would become more of a distraction as training camp approaches, yet Nonis seemed pretty calm about retaining the two players while discussing the matter with NHL.com.
“From our standpoint, we have enough cap space in our minds to get both players signed and that’s what we intend to do,” Nonis said on Friday. “There are definitely ways of making it work. That’s our intention.”
Nonis admits there have been “quiet periods” during the negotiations, but said that doesn’t bothering him, noting that lulls are “par for the course” in these types of discussions.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)