Aug 13, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
By no means did Nazem Kadri sound fraught with anxiety about his contract status with the Toronto Maple Leafs (i.e. the fact he doesn’t currently have one); however, the 22-year-old restricted free agent did admit Monday he’d like to get a deal done before it becomes a real issue.
“The closer and closer camp comes, the more of a distraction it is to me,” Kadri told the Toronto Sun. “But I’m confident we’ll come up with something. I know both parties want to get something done, it’s just a matter of them getting some things together and putting the team back where it was. We have a solid foundation, a great group of guys and no one wants to leave.”
The problem for the Leafs general manager Dave Nonis is, in addition to getting Kadri signed, he also has to negotiate a deal with RFA defenseman Cody Franson.
Some analysis from the Sun:
The cap-challenged Leafs might sign both RFAs, let camp run its course and then get back under the cap by dropping one or two salaries in the $1 million-range before opening night. The Leafs have about $4.9 million US to work with at present, not enough for both RFAs.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)