Aug 13, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
By no means did Nazem Kadri sound fraught with anxiety about his contract status with the Toronto Maple Leafs (i.e. the fact he doesn’t currently have one); however, the 22-year-old restricted free agent did admit Monday he’d like to get a deal done before it becomes a real issue.
“The closer and closer camp comes, the more of a distraction it is to me,” Kadri told the Toronto Sun. “But I’m confident we’ll come up with something. I know both parties want to get something done, it’s just a matter of them getting some things together and putting the team back where it was. We have a solid foundation, a great group of guys and no one wants to leave.”
The problem for the Leafs general manager Dave Nonis is, in addition to getting Kadri signed, he also has to negotiate a deal with RFA defenseman Cody Franson.
Some analysis from the Sun:
The cap-challenged Leafs might sign both RFAs, let camp run its course and then get back under the cap by dropping one or two salaries in the $1 million-range before opening night. The Leafs have about $4.9 million US to work with at present, not enough for both RFAs.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)