Aug 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Veteran NHL defenseman Steve Montador is off to the KHL.
Croatian KHL club Medvescak Zagreb announced they’ve signed the 10-year NHL veteran to a new deal.
Last season, Montador had a rough go of things as he struggled with concussion problems and was later sent to the AHL. He wasn’t around to help the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup but he was part of the committee of players who negotiated with and against the owners during the lockout.
Curiously enough, Zagreb has become a home-far away-from home for many former NHL players.
Checking out the Medvescak roster they’ve also got goalie Mark Dekanich, defenseman Kurtis Foster, and a host of forwards including one-time 50-goal scorer Jonathan Cheechoo, 2003 first-round pick Hugh Jessiman, Bill Thomas, as well as AHL vets Boyd Kane, Andrew Murray and Matt Murley.
At the very least, Montador is headed to a place with some familiar faces.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)