Aug 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Veteran NHL defenseman Steve Montador is off to the KHL.
Croatian KHL club Medvescak Zagreb announced they’ve signed the 10-year NHL veteran to a new deal.
Last season, Montador had a rough go of things as he struggled with concussion problems and was later sent to the AHL. He wasn’t around to help the Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup but he was part of the committee of players who negotiated with and against the owners during the lockout.
Curiously enough, Zagreb has become a home-far away-from home for many former NHL players.
Checking out the Medvescak roster they’ve also got goalie Mark Dekanich, defenseman Kurtis Foster, and a host of forwards including one-time 50-goal scorer Jonathan Cheechoo, 2003 first-round pick Hugh Jessiman, Bill Thomas, as well as AHL vets Boyd Kane, Andrew Murray and Matt Murley.
At the very least, Montador is headed to a place with some familiar faces.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)