Mar 12, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Hayes, 23, currently sits tied for 10th in AHL goalscoring (22) and fourth on the IceHogs with 39 points.
The 6-foot-6, 221-pound winger made his NHL debut for the ‘Hawks last year, scoring 5G-4A-9PTS in 31 games while averaging just over 10 minutes a night.
Montador, 33, recently received medical clearance from a concussion that plagued him since last season, and was subsequently placed on waivers Monday.
Today he cleared, allowing Chicago to send him to the American League for conditioning.
Montador signed a four-year, $11 million deal with Chicago prior to last season and got off to a solid start, racking up 14 points in his first 52 games.
He hasn’t played a competitive game since last March, so the hope is for him to get back into game shape while playing for Rockford.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)