Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis spoke at the Canucks Summer Summit, a town hall Q&A with season ticket holders, and talked about how his meeting with Roberto Luongo went. Turns out things are going just fine.
“Roberto is great,” Gillis said with a smile. “Ironically we spent about half the conversation going through his Twitter account. He thinks he’s so witty.”
Gillis says one thing they could’ve worked better on with Luongo was his emotions. He said Luongo often felt guarded and the way he conducts himself on Twitter shows there’s a funny, approachable guy.
“We all could’ve worked harder at helping him but he’s really enthused about the next steps… We’re pleased he’s going to be our No. 1 goalie.”
All right, but seriously: How does he feel about moving on with Luongo after two summers of not trading him? After all, dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey during the draft was perhaps the last thing Luongo expected to happen.
“I was comfortable there. We have a really good relationship. It isn’t strained or adversarial at all. I think he’s going to be fine. He’s a consummate professional. I think he’ll wind up being Canada’s No. 1 goalie and Roberto will be our No. 1 goalie. I feel very optimistic about it.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)