Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis spoke at the Canucks Summer Summit, a town hall Q&A with season ticket holders, and talked about how his meeting with Roberto Luongo went. Turns out things are going just fine.
“Roberto is great,” Gillis said with a smile. “Ironically we spent about half the conversation going through his Twitter account. He thinks he’s so witty.”
Gillis says one thing they could’ve worked better on with Luongo was his emotions. He said Luongo often felt guarded and the way he conducts himself on Twitter shows there’s a funny, approachable guy.
“We all could’ve worked harder at helping him but he’s really enthused about the next steps… We’re pleased he’s going to be our No. 1 goalie.”
All right, but seriously: How does he feel about moving on with Luongo after two summers of not trading him? After all, dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey during the draft was perhaps the last thing Luongo expected to happen.
“I was comfortable there. We have a really good relationship. It isn’t strained or adversarial at all. I think he’s going to be fine. He’s a consummate professional. I think he’ll wind up being Canada’s No. 1 goalie and Roberto will be our No. 1 goalie. I feel very optimistic about it.”
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 0
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)