Jul 23, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
Vancouver GM Mike Gillis spoke at the Canucks Summer Summit, a town hall Q&A with season ticket holders, and talked about how his meeting with Roberto Luongo went. Turns out things are going just fine.
“Roberto is great,” Gillis said with a smile. “Ironically we spent about half the conversation going through his Twitter account. He thinks he’s so witty.”
Gillis says one thing they could’ve worked better on with Luongo was his emotions. He said Luongo often felt guarded and the way he conducts himself on Twitter shows there’s a funny, approachable guy.
“We all could’ve worked harder at helping him but he’s really enthused about the next steps… We’re pleased he’s going to be our No. 1 goalie.”
All right, but seriously: How does he feel about moving on with Luongo after two summers of not trading him? After all, dealing Cory Schneider to New Jersey during the draft was perhaps the last thing Luongo expected to happen.
“I was comfortable there. We have a really good relationship. It isn’t strained or adversarial at all. I think he’s going to be fine. He’s a consummate professional. I think he’ll wind up being Canada’s No. 1 goalie and Roberto will be our No. 1 goalie. I feel very optimistic about it.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)