Jul 23, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have officially announced the signing of veteran forward Jaromir Jagr — a one-year deal with a $2 million base salary.
According to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet, the remainder of the deal is more complex. Jagr gets a $250,000 bonus for every five games played from 10 to 45, meaning there’s potential for an additional $2 million in bonus money.
So all told, the contract could be worth around $4 million for 2013-14.
Rumors of a deal with the Devils have persisted for days. On Monday, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported Jagr had agreed to join the club.
New Jersey is the seventh NHL team that Jagr, 41, has played for during his 23-year career after being drafted by Pittsburgh fifth overall at the 1990 NHL Entry Draft. He’s also spent time in Washington, New York (Rangers), Philadelphia, Dallas and Boston.
As mentioned, no financial details have been reported on the new deal with the Devils, though Jagr made $4.5 million (prorated) in 2013 and $3.3 million in 2011-12 with Philadelphia.
The move to New Jersey makes sense on a number of fronts.
One, the club needed a skill winger with some star power after Ilya Kovalchuk’s shock retirement.
Two, New Jersey has nearly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to make Jagr a healthy offer.
Three, there’s a certain comfort level for Jagr in Jersey.
New Jersey also signed Jagr’s former Stars teammate, Michael Ryder, earlier this summer.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 1
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 33
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)