Coyotes saga: Investigation launched into ‘possible violations’ by Glendale council in state open meeting law

Jul 19, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT

The saga to keep the Coyotes in Glendale took another twist Friday.

According to an online Arizona Republic report, a state investigation has been launched into “possible violations of Arizona’s Open Meeting Law by the Glendale City Council” in connection to meetings that took place between city council, the National Hockey League and perspective buyers of the Coyotes on May 28.

Here is a snippet of what

The Attorney General’s Office launched the investigation in response to several complaints, according to a July 2 letter by Assistant Attorney General Christopher Munns to interim City Manager Dick Bowers.

This is the latest chapter in the economically controversial story of the Coyotes in Glendale.

Earlier this month, Glendale City Council narrowly approved Renaissance Sports & Entertainment’s 15-year, $225 million lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena.

1. esracerx46 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

15 year lease agreement. HA! I highly doubt they make it to the 5 year opt out clause. If council members are removed from office because of illegal meetings pertaining to the sale of the team, wouldn’t said agreement be considered void? Just seems like the people of Arizona want this team gone… Lest we digress. How did Goldwater miss illegal meetings and approve this?

• thenewraoulduke - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM

A) No it wouldn’t void the agreement.

B) Goldwater missed it because it is not going to come up with anything. A disgraceful councilmember who violated meeting laws herself by discussing details of closed door executive sessions spearheaded this campaign.

C) just because a couple idiots do something doesn’t represent the people of Arizona.

• DJ MC - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM

To be honest, doesn’t the complete and utter lack of attendance both recently and historically represent the people of Arizona in this case?

• esracerx46 - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Thanks DJ, I really didn’t think I had to use that fact. Some people in AZlike to blame attendance on how it’s been poorly run because of a poor ownership situation. The Coyotes went to the Western Conference Finals…I don’t care if they run a gimmick scheme or not, they won games. Winning in almost every other market equals attendance. Attendance equals revenue. Revenue means people will want to buy the franchise, and since it was for sale for what 4 years? Something wasn’t adding up. This could turn into a chicken or the egg argument.

• hex27 - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The Yokels couldn’t sell out play off games. A team in Quebec could win 10 games a year and still sell out for years.

2. btlpper68 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Ain’t nobody got time fo dat

• greatmiamisportsmind - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM

English please?

3. malkinrulez - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Please just move them out of Glendale , this is ridiculous. Quebec City, Seattle , Omaha , Green Bay, or Siberia , anywhere that wants hockey

• endusersolutions2013 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM

given the unequal # of teams in the conferences next year (16 east, 14 west), they can’t move this team to Quebec or any other eastern time zone city. Seattle would need to build a rink, so the most likely spot is Portland, which would have the rink and population base.

• esracerx46 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I was never a fan of the NHL returning to Kansas City. Mainly because I don’t want another Atlanta debacle. However, that was before I knew KC has a brand new building already built waiting for a tenant. I don’t know the KC market that well, but it can’t be worse than ice in a desert can it? I have long wanted the NHL to move a team to Seattle, but I have softened my anti KC stance.

4. jacketsfan7 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Green Bay or Seattle , unless the organization likes playing in front of 7,000 people a night

5. innout10 - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM

7000 per game? They averaged 13,200 PAID tickets… As far as PAID tickets go, that beat 5 other teams including Colorado who plays in a hockey rich state. Get your facts straight …. And honestly, a $500 fine and removal from office for a council made up of complete and utter clowns is just fine.

• ron05342 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM

You don’t understand.

If violations are found, and a “removed” council member wants to “talk” this could get very dicey indeed.

Whatever a removed council member might say what really went on in these meetings opens up a can or worms, with legal birds swooping in and filing all kinds of civil law suits against the city, the team, and the prospective owners.

It’s not the initial fines or removals. It’s what comes after.

6. buffalo65 - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM

13000 paid?? Maybe if you count 2 hotdog a pop and a ticket for 5 bucks paid. Get this team out of here. A mistake from the start.

• esracerx46 - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM

The whole Glendale demographic is weird. 3 reasons why people go to a game. First being you’re a fan of the Yotes. Second being you’re like the majority of that area and you’re a transplant from a different market and want to see your team play. Third being you want to go to Vegas for a weekend and you’re team is playing in Glendale, tickets are at AHL prices so why not? When half the people at a game are transients, that’s pretty telling of where the fanbase is.

• chanceoffleury1 - Jul 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM

If its anything like it was during the Pens’ dark days you can’t forget the game goers who got free tickets for donating blood! My family has been Pens season ticket holders since 1996, but since we only have had two, my dad would always fill the gap of bringing along some extra friends and/or family for free by getting free tickets for donating blood. I’m pretty sure my family alone financed half the Pens payroll while also saving half the lives of sick Pittsburghers in need of type AB positive blood from 2000 – 2006. Now I’m pretty sure donation of your lower left forearm is just part of the general required “processing fee” they charge you for tickets. I guess it’s still better than Torontos “processing fee”of your firstborn son, the feathers of a real Pegasus, and the blood of a virgin.

7. steelers4385 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I live in phoenix. Im a pretty big hockey fan too. Just not of the yotes. I have been to games and it is pretty sad when the opposing team has more fans. Trust me, ive seen it. But you know….when coyotes go to playoffs, the crowds are packed. All yotes fans. I think there is alot of fans here, but its just nobody wants to keep seeing them lose. Its big that they will now be able to sign actual players and do contract extensions and make real buisness moves. It might not be as big of a hockey town as other citys, but there is definatley enough fans to keep the place packed as long as they are decent.

• esracerx46 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I think it’s a fallacy to think the Coyotes didn’t spend money on players. They didn’t make a special rule that allowed them to go below the cap floor. When you’re not close to being competive you’re wasting money in free agency. Now that they’re close they can add pieces in free agency and possibly making it worthwhile .

• ron05342 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Stapes Center East!

• ron05342 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I hate that we can’t edit our comments here. Staples Center East………

• hex27 - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Edit all you want, it’s still a stupid comment.

8. tdrusher225 - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM

So does this mean there’s still a chance to get the team out Arizona?

9. noozehound - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:35 AM

just move the damn team, already. nobody wants hockey in Arizona

• ron05342 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

10. ansleyiu - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:25 AM

just before I saw the receipt for $6821, I did not believe that…my… sister woz like really making money part time at their laptop.. there sisters neighbour haz done this for under eleven months and at present paid the loans on there apartment and purchased a top of the range Lotus Carlton. read more at,go to this site home tab for more detail—>>> SEE MORE

11. 19inarow - Jul 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM

It’s “prospective buyers,” not “perspective.”

Carry on.

12. malkinrulez - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

jacketsfan7 that was sarcasm! I also added Siberia to drive the point home!

13. vstar1us - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Well Portland Oregon, you may get a Team you have the complex and you will have the fan base! The Winterhawks can move to smaller area and do just fine.

14. proudliberal85392 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Ah, yes! The return of the “move the Coyotes” know-it-alls. Must’ve been tough staying quiet for a few days.

15. joeyashwi - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Please explain to me why I’m the only one who finds it absurd that the city of Glendale has to pay a lease on an arena that was paid for by the city(ie. taxpayers). Every other team who has had an arena or stadium built with public funds gets paid by the team for a lease agreement, not the other way around.

16. hex27 - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Where exactly are the tens of thousands Portland or Seattle fans? I read a lot of boards and the people who keep saying “”Seattle Seattle Seattle” are always in other cities. Its as if people want a team there more than the city. I don’t see the amount of support for a team in Portland or Seattle as I see for Quebec and the GTA.

17. ChandlerMc - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

PROspective buyers have a buyer’s PERspective.

*I’m available for hire as a proofreader for the inevitable grammatical errors and misspellings in future posts.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive