Jul 3, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
The former Phoenix Coyotes — now the Arizona Coyotes — will stay in Glendale.
Well, for a little while longer.
In a 4-3 vote, the City Council has approved prospective Coyotes owner Renaissance Sports & Entertainment’s (RSE) 15-year, $225 million lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena. That will pave the way for RSE to buy the team with the goal of keeping them in Glendale.
At the same time, this isn’t necessarily the end of the Coyotes’ long saga.
While this deal will give the franchise another shot, RSE did retain an out-clause that can be activated if the team’s losses reach a cumulative total of $50 million or more within the first five years of this agreement.
Conversely, Glendale doesn’t have an out-clause.
That being said, RSE added a “make whole” component that would provide the city with some compensation should the team relocate, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.
RSE will also have the backing of the Philadelphia Flyers’ owners, Global Spectrum.
“Combining Global Spectrum’s management of the stadium next door with the efforts at the arena creates unique operating efficiencies that will be financially beneficial to both venues,” Flyers president Peter Luukko said prior to the vote.
So the long-term future of the Coyotes is still very much in doubt. But at least it looks like they’ll have something that they haven’t had since 2009:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)