Jul 3, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
The former Phoenix Coyotes — now the Arizona Coyotes — will stay in Glendale.
Well, for a little while longer.
In a 4-3 vote, the City Council has approved prospective Coyotes owner Renaissance Sports & Entertainment’s (RSE) 15-year, $225 million lease agreement for Jobing.com Arena. That will pave the way for RSE to buy the team with the goal of keeping them in Glendale.
At the same time, this isn’t necessarily the end of the Coyotes’ long saga.
While this deal will give the franchise another shot, RSE did retain an out-clause that can be activated if the team’s losses reach a cumulative total of $50 million or more within the first five years of this agreement.
Conversely, Glendale doesn’t have an out-clause.
That being said, RSE added a “make whole” component that would provide the city with some compensation should the team relocate, according to Yahoo! Sports’ Nick Cotsonika.
RSE will also have the backing of the Philadelphia Flyers’ owners, Global Spectrum.
“Combining Global Spectrum’s management of the stadium next door with the efforts at the arena creates unique operating efficiencies that will be financially beneficial to both venues,” Flyers president Peter Luukko said prior to the vote.
So the long-term future of the Coyotes is still very much in doubt. But at least it looks like they’ll have something that they haven’t had since 2009:
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)