Jul 13, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Ben Hanowski‘s career in the National Hockey League has been eventful, despite being limited.
He was part of the blockbuster Jarome Iginla trade to the Pittsburgh Penguins toward the end of March, coming to Calgary after the Flames shipped their star captain to what looked at the time like the Eastern Conference powerhouse.
So, he’ll forever be recognized in Calgary for that. His time in the NHL consists of five games. He scored in his debut, and was held without a point after that.
But the pace of the game at its top level proved to be the biggest challenge for Hanowski, who played three years of college hockey at St. Cloud State.
It was at Flames prospects camp where Hanowski discussed the difference in conditioning from the college level compared to the NHL.
“The first practice I was in, I was sucking wind, and those guys were acting like it was nothing,” Hanowski told the Calgary Sun.
“Within the first couple of hours skating, I knew I had some work to do. It’s a pretty big difference from here to college.”
“You would think (I was in top condition possible), but it’s a different animal. Those guys have been putting in years getting in shape, so you really have to push it. For a guy like me — not the fastest guy — I have to make sure I do things the right way.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)