Jul 13, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Ben Hanowski‘s career in the National Hockey League has been eventful, despite being limited.
He was part of the blockbuster Jarome Iginla trade to the Pittsburgh Penguins toward the end of March, coming to Calgary after the Flames shipped their star captain to what looked at the time like the Eastern Conference powerhouse.
So, he’ll forever be recognized in Calgary for that. His time in the NHL consists of five games. He scored in his debut, and was held without a point after that.
But the pace of the game at its top level proved to be the biggest challenge for Hanowski, who played three years of college hockey at St. Cloud State.
It was at Flames prospects camp where Hanowski discussed the difference in conditioning from the college level compared to the NHL.
“The first practice I was in, I was sucking wind, and those guys were acting like it was nothing,” Hanowski told the Calgary Sun.
“Within the first couple of hours skating, I knew I had some work to do. It’s a pretty big difference from here to college.”
“You would think (I was in top condition possible), but it’s a different animal. Those guys have been putting in years getting in shape, so you really have to push it. For a guy like me — not the fastest guy — I have to make sure I do things the right way.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)