Jul 13, 2013, 10:40 PM EST
Ben Hanowski‘s career in the National Hockey League has been eventful, despite being limited.
He was part of the blockbuster Jarome Iginla trade to the Pittsburgh Penguins toward the end of March, coming to Calgary after the Flames shipped their star captain to what looked at the time like the Eastern Conference powerhouse.
So, he’ll forever be recognized in Calgary for that. His time in the NHL consists of five games. He scored in his debut, and was held without a point after that.
But the pace of the game at its top level proved to be the biggest challenge for Hanowski, who played three years of college hockey at St. Cloud State.
It was at Flames prospects camp where Hanowski discussed the difference in conditioning from the college level compared to the NHL.
“The first practice I was in, I was sucking wind, and those guys were acting like it was nothing,” Hanowski told the Calgary Sun.
“Within the first couple of hours skating, I knew I had some work to do. It’s a pretty big difference from here to college.”
“You would think (I was in top condition possible), but it’s a different animal. Those guys have been putting in years getting in shape, so you really have to push it. For a guy like me — not the fastest guy — I have to make sure I do things the right way.”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)