Mar 28, 2013, 1:44 AM EST
Jarome Iginla was traded Wednesday night.
The end of an era in Calgary did take place. But Iginla was not traded to the Boston Bruins, as was initially reported and supposedly confirmed.
Calgary Flames general manager Jay Feaster dropped hockey’s equivalent to a bombshell, when he announced during a press conference that Iginla was actually traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins, where he will be re-united with his 2010 Olympic teammate Sidney Crosby.
You may remember that Iginla set up Crosby for the gold medal winning goal for Team Canada in the 2010 Olympics.
Penguins general manager Ray Shero has certainly been busy these past few days building his team that is now the clear favorite to take the Eastern Conference.
Not only do the Penguins possess Crosby, the league leader in points with 54 in 34 games, but they picked up veteran forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars and defenseman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks.
The Penguins also lead the East with a 26-8-0 record and 52 points, which is five ahead of the Montreal Canadiens.
Iginla will speak to the media in Calgary tomorrow morning.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)