Jul 7, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
Henrik Tallinder is proving you can go home again.
The Buffalo Sabres acquired Tallinder in a straight swap with the New Jersey Devils in exchange for minor league forward Riley Boychuk.
Tallinder is often credited for helping Tyler Myers break out as a top-flight defenseman. Ever since he’s been out of Buffalo, however, things haven’t gone as smoothly for Myers.
Sabres GM Darcy Regier is happy to have him back in the fold.
“We are excited to have Henrik back in the mix on our blue line,” said Regier. “His experience will be invaluable not only in adding more stability to our back end, but also in the development of some of our younger defensemen.”
Tallinder joins a relatively crowded house on defense in Buffalo, albeit a mostly inexperienced one.
For the Devils, this deal works as a major salary dump as Tallinder is owed $3.5 million this season and comes with a cap hit of $3.375 million. New Jersey was already pushing the upper limit of the cap but now get a little breathing room.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)