Jul 7, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
Henrik Tallinder is proving you can go home again.
The Buffalo Sabres acquired Tallinder in a straight swap with the New Jersey Devils in exchange for minor league forward Riley Boychuk.
Tallinder is often credited for helping Tyler Myers break out as a top-flight defenseman. Ever since he’s been out of Buffalo, however, things haven’t gone as smoothly for Myers.
Sabres GM Darcy Regier is happy to have him back in the fold.
“We are excited to have Henrik back in the mix on our blue line,” said Regier. “His experience will be invaluable not only in adding more stability to our back end, but also in the development of some of our younger defensemen.”
Tallinder joins a relatively crowded house on defense in Buffalo, albeit a mostly inexperienced one.
For the Devils, this deal works as a major salary dump as Tallinder is owed $3.5 million this season and comes with a cap hit of $3.375 million. New Jersey was already pushing the upper limit of the cap but now get a little breathing room.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 4
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)