Jul 7, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
Henrik Tallinder is proving you can go home again.
The Buffalo Sabres acquired Tallinder in a straight swap with the New Jersey Devils in exchange for minor league forward Riley Boychuk.
Tallinder is often credited for helping Tyler Myers break out as a top-flight defenseman. Ever since he’s been out of Buffalo, however, things haven’t gone as smoothly for Myers.
Sabres GM Darcy Regier is happy to have him back in the fold.
“We are excited to have Henrik back in the mix on our blue line,” said Regier. “His experience will be invaluable not only in adding more stability to our back end, but also in the development of some of our younger defensemen.”
Tallinder joins a relatively crowded house on defense in Buffalo, albeit a mostly inexperienced one.
For the Devils, this deal works as a major salary dump as Tallinder is owed $3.5 million this season and comes with a cap hit of $3.375 million. New Jersey was already pushing the upper limit of the cap but now get a little breathing room.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)