Jul 6, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
The Sabres defense is going to stay a bit crowded next season.
Sulzer emerged a bit last season when teamed up with fellow German Christian Ehrhoff and put up three goals and one assist in 17 games. Now he joins a crowded house of mostly inexperienced (at the NHL level at least) blue liners.
With Ehrhoff, Tyler Myers, Mike Weber, and newly acquired Jamie McBain, four spots on the Sabres’ defense seem set leaving Sulzer, Mark Pysyk, and Chad Ruhwedel to battle out for the other two spots. Minor leaguer Drew Bagnall (who also signed a multi-year, two-way deal today) factors lightly into the mix as well.
Of course, the picture could become more muddled if they sign someone else.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)