Jul 6, 2013, 10:37 AM EST
The Sabres defense is going to stay a bit crowded next season.
Sulzer emerged a bit last season when teamed up with fellow German Christian Ehrhoff and put up three goals and one assist in 17 games. Now he joins a crowded house of mostly inexperienced (at the NHL level at least) blue liners.
With Ehrhoff, Tyler Myers, Mike Weber, and newly acquired Jamie McBain, four spots on the Sabres’ defense seem set leaving Sulzer, Mark Pysyk, and Chad Ruhwedel to battle out for the other two spots. Minor leaguer Drew Bagnall (who also signed a multi-year, two-way deal today) factors lightly into the mix as well.
Of course, the picture could become more muddled if they sign someone else.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)