Jul 5, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Over the last week, reports have come out that have put some of 21-year-old Tyler Seguin‘s off-ice actions under the microscope.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli publicly said that Seguin needs to be “more of a professional” and after Seguin was sent to Dallas, a report surfaced that the Bruins had a “sit-down” with the young forward during the Leafs series.
If any of that makes Stars GM Jim Nill nervous, he’s not showing it.
“Well, [executive advisor Mark Recchi] knows him very well. He’s not an unknown,” Nill said, according to the Dallas Morning News. “I watched Tyler when he was in Plymouth. I lived in Detroit there as you know and I’ve seen him grow up as a junior and turn into a great pro.
“We’re very fortunate he played with the Boston Bruins. They do things right. I know he’s had great coaching and great fundamentals and he’s built a great foundation there. So we’re very fortunate that way. We just look forward to him taking a leadership role down here in Dallas.”
It’s worth noting that Chiarelli also recently came to Seguin’s defense.
“No player is perfect, either as a player or an individual,” Chiarelli said. “All this stuff mushrooms into a proliferation of items on social media. I get overwhelmed by the number of stuff that comes out. Maybe some of it’s true, but I know not all of it’s true. Tyler’s a 21-year-old. He’s a good kid. He’s got a good heart. He’s going to continue to grow up.”
Seguin has been serving primarily as a winger with the Bruins, but he played as a center before being drafted and is expected to shift back to that position. He’s also projected to skate alongside 23-year-old Jamie Benn and the two will have an opportunity to play together for years to come.
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 10
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 36
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12