Jul 5, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Over the last week, reports have come out that have put some of 21-year-old Tyler Seguin‘s off-ice actions under the microscope.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli publicly said that Seguin needs to be “more of a professional” and after Seguin was sent to Dallas, a report surfaced that the Bruins had a “sit-down” with the young forward during the Leafs series.
If any of that makes Stars GM Jim Nill nervous, he’s not showing it.
“Well, [executive advisor Mark Recchi] knows him very well. He’s not an unknown,” Nill said, according to the Dallas Morning News. “I watched Tyler when he was in Plymouth. I lived in Detroit there as you know and I’ve seen him grow up as a junior and turn into a great pro.
“We’re very fortunate he played with the Boston Bruins. They do things right. I know he’s had great coaching and great fundamentals and he’s built a great foundation there. So we’re very fortunate that way. We just look forward to him taking a leadership role down here in Dallas.”
It’s worth noting that Chiarelli also recently came to Seguin’s defense.
“No player is perfect, either as a player or an individual,” Chiarelli said. “All this stuff mushrooms into a proliferation of items on social media. I get overwhelmed by the number of stuff that comes out. Maybe some of it’s true, but I know not all of it’s true. Tyler’s a 21-year-old. He’s a good kid. He’s got a good heart. He’s going to continue to grow up.”
Seguin has been serving primarily as a winger with the Bruins, but he played as a center before being drafted and is expected to shift back to that position. He’s also projected to skate alongside 23-year-old Jamie Benn and the two will have an opportunity to play together for years to come.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54