Jul 5, 2013, 9:52 AM EST
Over the last week, reports have come out that have put some of 21-year-old Tyler Seguin‘s off-ice actions under the microscope.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli publicly said that Seguin needs to be “more of a professional” and after Seguin was sent to Dallas, a report surfaced that the Bruins had a “sit-down” with the young forward during the Leafs series.
If any of that makes Stars GM Jim Nill nervous, he’s not showing it.
“Well, [executive advisor Mark Recchi] knows him very well. He’s not an unknown,” Nill said, according to the Dallas Morning News. “I watched Tyler when he was in Plymouth. I lived in Detroit there as you know and I’ve seen him grow up as a junior and turn into a great pro.
“We’re very fortunate he played with the Boston Bruins. They do things right. I know he’s had great coaching and great fundamentals and he’s built a great foundation there. So we’re very fortunate that way. We just look forward to him taking a leadership role down here in Dallas.”
It’s worth noting that Chiarelli also recently came to Seguin’s defense.
“No player is perfect, either as a player or an individual,” Chiarelli said. “All this stuff mushrooms into a proliferation of items on social media. I get overwhelmed by the number of stuff that comes out. Maybe some of it’s true, but I know not all of it’s true. Tyler’s a 21-year-old. He’s a good kid. He’s got a good heart. He’s going to continue to grow up.”
Seguin has been serving primarily as a winger with the Bruins, but he played as a center before being drafted and is expected to shift back to that position. He’s also projected to skate alongside 23-year-old Jamie Benn and the two will have an opportunity to play together for years to come.
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 27
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 52
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)