Jul 5, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Over the last week, reports have come out that have put some of 21-year-old Tyler Seguin‘s off-ice actions under the microscope.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli publicly said that Seguin needs to be “more of a professional” and after Seguin was sent to Dallas, a report surfaced that the Bruins had a “sit-down” with the young forward during the Leafs series.
If any of that makes Stars GM Jim Nill nervous, he’s not showing it.
“Well, [executive advisor Mark Recchi] knows him very well. He’s not an unknown,” Nill said, according to the Dallas Morning News. “I watched Tyler when he was in Plymouth. I lived in Detroit there as you know and I’ve seen him grow up as a junior and turn into a great pro.
“We’re very fortunate he played with the Boston Bruins. They do things right. I know he’s had great coaching and great fundamentals and he’s built a great foundation there. So we’re very fortunate that way. We just look forward to him taking a leadership role down here in Dallas.”
It’s worth noting that Chiarelli also recently came to Seguin’s defense.
“No player is perfect, either as a player or an individual,” Chiarelli said. “All this stuff mushrooms into a proliferation of items on social media. I get overwhelmed by the number of stuff that comes out. Maybe some of it’s true, but I know not all of it’s true. Tyler’s a 21-year-old. He’s a good kid. He’s got a good heart. He’s going to continue to grow up.”
Seguin has been serving primarily as a winger with the Bruins, but he played as a center before being drafted and is expected to shift back to that position. He’s also projected to skate alongside 23-year-old Jamie Benn and the two will have an opportunity to play together for years to come.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)