Jul 5, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Over the last week, reports have come out that have put some of 21-year-old Tyler Seguin‘s off-ice actions under the microscope.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli publicly said that Seguin needs to be “more of a professional” and after Seguin was sent to Dallas, a report surfaced that the Bruins had a “sit-down” with the young forward during the Leafs series.
If any of that makes Stars GM Jim Nill nervous, he’s not showing it.
“Well, [executive advisor Mark Recchi] knows him very well. He’s not an unknown,” Nill said, according to the Dallas Morning News. “I watched Tyler when he was in Plymouth. I lived in Detroit there as you know and I’ve seen him grow up as a junior and turn into a great pro.
“We’re very fortunate he played with the Boston Bruins. They do things right. I know he’s had great coaching and great fundamentals and he’s built a great foundation there. So we’re very fortunate that way. We just look forward to him taking a leadership role down here in Dallas.”
It’s worth noting that Chiarelli also recently came to Seguin’s defense.
“No player is perfect, either as a player or an individual,” Chiarelli said. “All this stuff mushrooms into a proliferation of items on social media. I get overwhelmed by the number of stuff that comes out. Maybe some of it’s true, but I know not all of it’s true. Tyler’s a 21-year-old. He’s a good kid. He’s got a good heart. He’s going to continue to grow up.”
Seguin has been serving primarily as a winger with the Bruins, but he played as a center before being drafted and is expected to shift back to that position. He’s also projected to skate alongside 23-year-old Jamie Benn and the two will have an opportunity to play together for years to come.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)