Jul 2, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Vincent Lecavalier apparently won’t be headed to the Motor City.
John Shannon of Sportsnet reports the Detroit Red Wings have been told they are no longer in the hunt for the former Lightning captain.
The Wings have an opening on their second line for a center with Valtteri Filppula headed to free agency and had thoughts on bringing in Lecavalier. With his contract likely coming in at $5 million per year on a long term, that would’ve been tough for Detroit to swallow anyhow.
ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun says the race for Vinny’s services could come down to Boston, Dallas, or Montreal with the Habs being the top choice if he wants to go there. The Stars have been rumored to be heavily in on Lecavalier as it offers a similar setting to Tampa Bay.
As for Detroit, they’re exploring other options at center and are ready to move when free agency starts on July 5.
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 0
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21