Jul 2, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Vincent Lecavalier apparently won’t be headed to the Motor City.
John Shannon of Sportsnet reports the Detroit Red Wings have been told they are no longer in the hunt for the former Lightning captain.
The Wings have an opening on their second line for a center with Valtteri Filppula headed to free agency and had thoughts on bringing in Lecavalier. With his contract likely coming in at $5 million per year on a long term, that would’ve been tough for Detroit to swallow anyhow.
ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun says the race for Vinny’s services could come down to Boston, Dallas, or Montreal with the Habs being the top choice if he wants to go there. The Stars have been rumored to be heavily in on Lecavalier as it offers a similar setting to Tampa Bay.
As for Detroit, they’re exploring other options at center and are ready to move when free agency starts on July 5.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)