Jul 2, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Vincent Lecavalier apparently won’t be headed to the Motor City.
John Shannon of Sportsnet reports the Detroit Red Wings have been told they are no longer in the hunt for the former Lightning captain.
The Wings have an opening on their second line for a center with Valtteri Filppula headed to free agency and had thoughts on bringing in Lecavalier. With his contract likely coming in at $5 million per year on a long term, that would’ve been tough for Detroit to swallow anyhow.
ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun says the race for Vinny’s services could come down to Boston, Dallas, or Montreal with the Habs being the top choice if he wants to go there. The Stars have been rumored to be heavily in on Lecavalier as it offers a similar setting to Tampa Bay.
As for Detroit, they’re exploring other options at center and are ready to move when free agency starts on July 5.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 1
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)