Jul 2, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Vincent Lecavalier apparently won’t be headed to the Motor City.
John Shannon of Sportsnet reports the Detroit Red Wings have been told they are no longer in the hunt for the former Lightning captain.
The Wings have an opening on their second line for a center with Valtteri Filppula headed to free agency and had thoughts on bringing in Lecavalier. With his contract likely coming in at $5 million per year on a long term, that would’ve been tough for Detroit to swallow anyhow.
ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun says the race for Vinny’s services could come down to Boston, Dallas, or Montreal with the Habs being the top choice if he wants to go there. The Stars have been rumored to be heavily in on Lecavalier as it offers a similar setting to Tampa Bay.
As for Detroit, they’re exploring other options at center and are ready to move when free agency starts on July 5.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 24
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)