Jul 2, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Detroit is set to head into this offseason with some cap space and a hole to fill up the middle. Their potential shopping list of centermen gives Red Wings fans a reason to pay attention when free agency kicks off on Friday.
Stephen Weiss (Florida), Mike Ribeiro (Washington), Derek Roy (Vancouver), Tyler Bozak (Toronto), and Matt Cullen (Minnesota). New Jersey’s Patrik Elias is also on their short-list, but he’s close to re-signing with the Devils. While Vincent Lecavalier would seem like a logical fit here, Khan says his demands may be a bit too pricey for what GM Ken Holland is looking for.
Meanwhile, the team is still working on re-signing Damien Brunner and Danny Cleary to new deals. Should that not pan out, there are a host of veteran options on the market for wingers including Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow, Jaromir Jagr, and Michael Ryder (amongst others).
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)