Jul 2, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
What started with former Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes filing for bankruptcy in 2009 might finally come to a head tonight with a City Council meeting scheduled to start at 10:00 p.m. ET.
We have reached the NHL’s deadline for the City of Glendale to either vote in favor of prospective Coyotes owner Renaissance Sports & Entertainment’s (RSE) 15-year, $225 million lease agreement on Jobing.com Arena or risk losing the franchise entirely.
With that vote looming, Global Spectrum announced it’s support of RSE, according to CSN Philly.
The list of things that Global Spectrum is the owner of includes Philadelphia Flyers and their home, the Wells Fargo Center.
“As owner of an NHL franchise and operator of the arena in which that team plays, we are confident that Global Spectrum will do amazing things for us in Glendale,” one of RSE’s partners, Anthony LeBlanc said.
“Combining Global Spectrum’s management of the stadium next door with the efforts at the arena creates unique operating efficiencies that will be financially beneficial to both venues,” Flyers president Peter Luukko added.
“With an ability to combine our efforts, we can maximize opportunities for our teams, our customers and guests while significantly reducing expenses.”
That being said, there are areas of concern that remain. As TSN reported:
Unresolved concerns about the deal were outlined in a memo released by the City of Glendale last week, including issues over the city bearing all the risk in the deal if Renaissance’s plan fails and a $15 million management fee to RSE that could end up costing the city more than the projected annual cost of $6 million (should other projections not be met).
Included in the deal are a pair of out-clauses for Renaissance, including one that kicks in at the five-year mark and one if their cumulative losses should hit the $50 million mark. The deal does not include an out-clause for the City of Glendale.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)