Jun 28, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Jonathan Drouin (LW)
Height: 5’10 Weight: 186 Shoots: Left
Team: Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 3 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Much like his Halifax Mooseheads teammate Nathan MacKinnon, Drouin is an offensive dynamo. While he boasts a bevy of offensive skills, he’s generally regarded as more of a playmaker than a sniper. (This dazzling video captures his creativity nicely.)
Drouin generated an impressive 105 points in 49 games for Halifax, second in the QMJHL to Ben Duffy’s 110 in 68 contests.
Some might question if he has the size and strength to make an immediate jump to the NHL, but few would question his hockey IQ.
“He’s so dynamic, he’s so quick down low,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “He’s got good vision obviously so it’s fun when you get a chance to play with a guy like that. He’s handles himself really well as a 17-year-old in this tournament.”
For more 2013 NHL Draft previews, click here.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7