Jun 28, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Jonathan Drouin (LW)
Height: 5’10 Weight: 186 Shoots: Left
Team: Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 3 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Much like his Halifax Mooseheads teammate Nathan MacKinnon, Drouin is an offensive dynamo. While he boasts a bevy of offensive skills, he’s generally regarded as more of a playmaker than a sniper. (This dazzling video captures his creativity nicely.)
Drouin generated an impressive 105 points in 49 games for Halifax, second in the QMJHL to Ben Duffy’s 110 in 68 contests.
Some might question if he has the size and strength to make an immediate jump to the NHL, but few would question his hockey IQ.
“He’s so dynamic, he’s so quick down low,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “He’s got good vision obviously so it’s fun when you get a chance to play with a guy like that. He’s handles himself really well as a 17-year-old in this tournament.”
For more 2013 NHL Draft previews, click here.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 56
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 34
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 32
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)