Jun 28, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Leading up to the 2013 NHL Entry Draft in New Jersey, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Sunday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Jonathan Drouin (LW)
Height: 5’10 Weight: 186 Shoots: Left
Team: Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 3 among North American skaters
What kind of player is he?
Much like his Halifax Mooseheads teammate Nathan MacKinnon, Drouin is an offensive dynamo. While he boasts a bevy of offensive skills, he’s generally regarded as more of a playmaker than a sniper. (This dazzling video captures his creativity nicely.)
Drouin generated an impressive 105 points in 49 games for Halifax, second in the QMJHL to Ben Duffy’s 110 in 68 contests.
Some might question if he has the size and strength to make an immediate jump to the NHL, but few would question his hockey IQ.
“He’s so dynamic, he’s so quick down low,” Nugent-Hopkins said. “He’s got good vision obviously so it’s fun when you get a chance to play with a guy like that. He’s handles himself really well as a 17-year-old in this tournament.”
For more 2013 NHL Draft previews, click here.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18