Jun 27, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Dave Bolland is a solid third-line center who can step up as a second liner when the need arises. He’s also the guy who scored the Stanley Cup winning goal this week.
And it sounds like Chicago is looking to trade him, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Bolland comes with a $3,375,000 cap hit in 2013-14 and he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after that. It’s possible that the Blackhawks don’t feel confident in their chances of re-signing him and consequently want to move him now while his value is high, but they might also be doing this with an eye to the future.
Before the start of the 2015-16 campaign, they will need to re-sign Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Andrew Shaw, Brandon Saad, and Corey Crawford, among others. Most, if not all of those players will be looking for meaningful raises, so GM Stan Bowman might be thinking proactively about the team’s cap needs.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5