Jun 27, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Dave Bolland is a solid third-line center who can step up as a second liner when the need arises. He’s also the guy who scored the Stanley Cup winning goal this week.
And it sounds like Chicago is looking to trade him, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Bolland comes with a $3,375,000 cap hit in 2013-14 and he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after that. It’s possible that the Blackhawks don’t feel confident in their chances of re-signing him and consequently want to move him now while his value is high, but they might also be doing this with an eye to the future.
Before the start of the 2015-16 campaign, they will need to re-sign Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Andrew Shaw, Brandon Saad, and Corey Crawford, among others. Most, if not all of those players will be looking for meaningful raises, so GM Stan Bowman might be thinking proactively about the team’s cap needs.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 0
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15