Jun 27, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Dave Bolland is a solid third-line center who can step up as a second liner when the need arises. He’s also the guy who scored the Stanley Cup winning goal this week.
And it sounds like Chicago is looking to trade him, according to TSN and ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Bolland comes with a $3,375,000 cap hit in 2013-14 and he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after that. It’s possible that the Blackhawks don’t feel confident in their chances of re-signing him and consequently want to move him now while his value is high, but they might also be doing this with an eye to the future.
Before the start of the 2015-16 campaign, they will need to re-sign Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Andrew Shaw, Brandon Saad, and Corey Crawford, among others. Most, if not all of those players will be looking for meaningful raises, so GM Stan Bowman might be thinking proactively about the team’s cap needs.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)