Jun 27, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Chicago GM Stan Bowman announced the team would be using both of their compliance buyouts this summer on defenseman Steve Montador and forward Rostislav Olesz.
Montador had two years remaining on his four-year deal with a $2.75 million cap hit. Olesz had just one season left on his six-year deal with a $3.125 million cap hit. Neither player was a factor in winning the Stanley Cup for the ‘Hawks this season. Montador dealt with concussion issues most of the season before being sent to Rockford in the AHL.
There was talk before the end of the Stanley Cup Final that perhaps Marian Hossa would be someone the team would buy out. With the fear of the cap recapture penalty looming if he retired before the end of his deal out there, some speculated it would be easier for Chicago to buy him out and move on.
That won’t be happening now and the Blackhawks will be hoping to see Hossa going strong into the 2020-2021 season when his 12-year deal expires. He’ll be 42 years-old when that happens.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)