Jun 24, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
Los Angeles defenseman Willie Mitchell was a key piece in the Kings’ 2012 Stanley Cup championship, but he missed the entire 2013 campaign due to a knee injury. There’s no guarantee he’ll be available for the 2013-14 season either even though he’s shown signs of improvement recently.
That by itself is an unfortunate situation for the Kings to be in, but it’s compounded by the fact that the team is up against the cap and they can’t just assume that Mitchell, along with his $3.5 million cap hit, will end up on the long-term injured reserve list.
“Yeah, it kind of circles around out there because it’s hard enough making decisions when you have all the facts,” Kings GM Dean Lombardi told LA Kings Insider.
“We’re making decisions based upon assumptions we might think will be facts two months from now. So this job is hard enough when you’ve got all the facts and lord knows you guys remind us when we mess up. Now we have to make some of these decisions on assumptions that might or might not be the case, and that’s just the way it is with Willie.
“I mean, we all know how good a player this guy is, how instrumental he is, his fit with his partner there, Voynov. And now, like I said, all the indications are positive in terms of his health. But that could change tomorrow. I can’t give you a definitive answer; it’s a moving target.”
On top of that, Rob Scuderi is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent and while Lombardi would like to re-sign the veteran defensive defenseman, he realizes that the falling cap ceiling is forcing him to make some tough calls.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)