Jun 14, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Los Angeles defenseman Willie Mitchell had a message for doubters on Thursday:
He’s working on a comeback.
Mitchell, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, has resumed skating and posted evidence to Twitter…
— Willie Mitchell (@Willie_Mitch33) June 13, 2013
Mitchell, 36, is heading into the final season of a two-year, $7 million deal – but the man that gave it to him, Kings GM Dean Lombardi, isn’t sure the veteran blueliner will be able to play it out.
Back in April, Lombardi confirmed that Mitchell would be done for the year, adding there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell might not be able to play in 2013-14 either.
On Sunday, Lombardi sounded more optimistic about Mitchell’s return, but stressed that he’s seen this type of progress before.
“It’s a day-to-day thing, in terms of his progress,” Lombardi told LA Kings Insider. “I guess it’s safe to say that he’s at least making progress, but the problem is it’s the same progress he made before, and until we get to those final stages, you’re not going to know for sure. So, if you had asked me this maybe six months ago when we went through the process the first time, I would have been encouraged.
“But, given that we had two setbacks once he got to a certain point, I’m certainly not as optimistic as I would have been before.”
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 7
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)