Jun 14, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Los Angeles defenseman Willie Mitchell had a message for doubters on Thursday:
He’s working on a comeback.
Mitchell, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, has resumed skating and posted evidence to Twitter…
— Willie Mitchell (@Willie_Mitch33) June 13, 2013
Mitchell, 36, is heading into the final season of a two-year, $7 million deal — but the man that gave it to him, Kings GM Dean Lombardi, isn’t sure the veteran blueliner will be able to play it out.
Back in April, Lombardi confirmed that Mitchell would be done for the year, adding there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell might not be able to play in 2013-14 either.
On Sunday, Lombardi sounded more optimistic about Mitchell’s return, but stressed that he’s seen this type of progress before.
“It’s a day-to-day thing, in terms of his progress,” Lombardi told LA Kings Insider. “I guess it’s safe to say that he’s at least making progress, but the problem is it’s the same progress he made before, and until we get to those final stages, you’re not going to know for sure. So, if you had asked me this maybe six months ago when we went through the process the first time, I would have been encouraged.
“But, given that we had two setbacks once he got to a certain point, I’m certainly not as optimistic as I would have been before.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)