Jun 14, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Los Angeles defenseman Willie Mitchell had a message for doubters on Thursday:
He’s working on a comeback.
Mitchell, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, has resumed skating and posted evidence to Twitter…
— Willie Mitchell (@Willie_Mitch33) June 13, 2013
Mitchell, 36, is heading into the final season of a two-year, $7 million deal — but the man that gave it to him, Kings GM Dean Lombardi, isn’t sure the veteran blueliner will be able to play it out.
Back in April, Lombardi confirmed that Mitchell would be done for the year, adding there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell might not be able to play in 2013-14 either.
On Sunday, Lombardi sounded more optimistic about Mitchell’s return, but stressed that he’s seen this type of progress before.
“It’s a day-to-day thing, in terms of his progress,” Lombardi told LA Kings Insider. “I guess it’s safe to say that he’s at least making progress, but the problem is it’s the same progress he made before, and until we get to those final stages, you’re not going to know for sure. So, if you had asked me this maybe six months ago when we went through the process the first time, I would have been encouraged.
“But, given that we had two setbacks once he got to a certain point, I’m certainly not as optimistic as I would have been before.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)