Jun 14, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
Los Angeles defenseman Willie Mitchell had a message for doubters on Thursday:
He’s working on a comeback.
Mitchell, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, has resumed skating and posted evidence to Twitter…
— Willie Mitchell (@Willie_Mitch33) June 13, 2013
Mitchell, 36, is heading into the final season of a two-year, $7 million deal — but the man that gave it to him, Kings GM Dean Lombardi, isn’t sure the veteran blueliner will be able to play it out.
Back in April, Lombardi confirmed that Mitchell would be done for the year, adding there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell might not be able to play in 2013-14 either.
On Sunday, Lombardi sounded more optimistic about Mitchell’s return, but stressed that he’s seen this type of progress before.
“It’s a day-to-day thing, in terms of his progress,” Lombardi told LA Kings Insider. “I guess it’s safe to say that he’s at least making progress, but the problem is it’s the same progress he made before, and until we get to those final stages, you’re not going to know for sure. So, if you had asked me this maybe six months ago when we went through the process the first time, I would have been encouraged.
“But, given that we had two setbacks once he got to a certain point, I’m certainly not as optimistic as I would have been before.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)