Jun 14, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Los Angeles defenseman Willie Mitchell had a message for doubters on Thursday:
He’s working on a comeback.
Mitchell, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, has resumed skating and posted evidence to Twitter…
— Willie Mitchell (@Willie_Mitch33) June 13, 2013
Mitchell, 36, is heading into the final season of a two-year, $7 million deal — but the man that gave it to him, Kings GM Dean Lombardi, isn’t sure the veteran blueliner will be able to play it out.
Back in April, Lombardi confirmed that Mitchell would be done for the year, adding there was “legitimate concern” that Mitchell might not be able to play in 2013-14 either.
On Sunday, Lombardi sounded more optimistic about Mitchell’s return, but stressed that he’s seen this type of progress before.
“It’s a day-to-day thing, in terms of his progress,” Lombardi told LA Kings Insider. “I guess it’s safe to say that he’s at least making progress, but the problem is it’s the same progress he made before, and until we get to those final stages, you’re not going to know for sure. So, if you had asked me this maybe six months ago when we went through the process the first time, I would have been encouraged.
“But, given that we had two setbacks once he got to a certain point, I’m certainly not as optimistic as I would have been before.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)