Jun 22, 2013, 9:46 PM EST
The Boston Bruins must feel like they’re in a perilous situation in Game 5 on Saturday. It’s bad enough that Patrick Kane has scored two goals to make it 2-0, but now it appears that regular Selke Trophy candidate Patrice Bergeron is banged up.
Bergeron missed some penalty kill shifts and was only able to take a brief 10-second shift after showing signs of injury in the second period.
Head coach Claude Julien was cryptic when asked about the 27-year-old’s status, saying only that the team “will give him some time.”
No doubt about it, Bergeron will be missed if this ends up being serious. As the playoffs have gone on, the hockey world has been clued in to his status as a top two-way player.
We’ll see if that means “limited shifts” or something more serious as the game (and series) progresses. Stay tuned for updates.
Here’s video that shows when he might have gotten hurt:
Update: Bergeron remained in the locker room to begin the third period.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)