Jun 21, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
After a lengthy negotiation process, the Phoenix Coyotes have retained their man.
On Friday, reports broke that Phoenix had re-signed head coach Dave Tippett to a five-year contract extension.
UPDATE: The Coyotes have confirmed the extension, but did not release the length of deal or money involved.
“We are very pleased to agree to terms with Dave to a long-term contract extension,” ‘Yotes GM Don Maloney said in a statement. “Elite coaching is required to win on a consistent basis and Dave is one of the best at his job in today’s game.
” His work ethic, attention to detail, communicative skills and patience make him an ideal fit with our group as we work to build a franchise capable of winning the Stanley Cup.”
Tippett first took the job in 2009, and has been behind the Coyotes’ bench for each of the last four seasons.
According to Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic, Tippett and the club have agreed to the deal in principle, but contracts still need to be signed before the club will make an official announcement.
CBC’s Elliotte Friedman confirms that the NHL — currently operating the Coyotes — has signed off on the deal, while John Gambadaro of 620 KTAR Phoenix radio notes that the deal is contingent upon the successful sale of the franchise.
“I am thrilled to stay with the Coyotes,” said Tippett. “Don has done a very good job of assembling a great staff and group of players here and I like the direction we are headed.
“We’ve started to build a strong foundation and we are both looking forward to continuing to build a winning team here in the Valley and taking the next step as a first class organization.”
Tippett, 51, has enjoyed great success during his time in the desert, posting at least a .531 winning percentage in every season while taking the Coyotes to their first-ever Western Conference finals in 2012.
As such, the Coyotes were keen to lock him up.
Adding to their desire to retain Tippett was the current NHL coaching landscape. Tippett was believed to be on a number of team’s wish lists — including Vancouver, which is still without a head coach.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)