Jun 19, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
Remember last week when Coyotes fans were feeling good about the reported lease deal “in principle” between prospective owners Renaissance Sports Entertainment and the City of Glendale?
Yeah, it appears they may have to dial back that optimism.
At least, until it’s time to dial it back up again.
From the Arizona Republic:
A long-awaited proposal by the prospective owners of the Phoenix Coyotes intended to keep the team in Arizona generated a mostly lackluster response by the Glendale City Council on Tuesday evening.
After the meeting ended, some council members said additional negotiations will be needed before the council will be ready to vote on the matter.
A delay could complicate matters.
NHL executives said they had hoped the council members would vote, or at least give a strong indication of their preference, before a scheduled NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27.
Despite the above, councilman Gary Sherwood remains hopeful.
“What I thought would happen (in the meeting), happened,” Sherwood said, per Fox Sports Arizona. “When you go through some of the deal points, I thought there would be a hang up or two, and there were.
“But I think they are easily overcome, and I think there will be another meeting this week. I’m optimistic because I think that what we need to do is pretty simplistic and it’s easily doable.”
Update (12:40 p.m. ET):
Related: ‘Stuff’s gonna happen’
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 10
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 27
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)