Jun 19, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Remember last week when Coyotes fans were feeling good about the reported lease deal “in principle” between prospective owners Renaissance Sports Entertainment and the City of Glendale?
Yeah, it appears they may have to dial back that optimism.
At least, until it’s time to dial it back up again.
From the Arizona Republic:
A long-awaited proposal by the prospective owners of the Phoenix Coyotes intended to keep the team in Arizona generated a mostly lackluster response by the Glendale City Council on Tuesday evening.
After the meeting ended, some council members said additional negotiations will be needed before the council will be ready to vote on the matter.
A delay could complicate matters.
NHL executives said they had hoped the council members would vote, or at least give a strong indication of their preference, before a scheduled NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27.
Despite the above, councilman Gary Sherwood remains hopeful.
“What I thought would happen (in the meeting), happened,” Sherwood said, per Fox Sports Arizona. “When you go through some of the deal points, I thought there would be a hang up or two, and there were.
“But I think they are easily overcome, and I think there will be another meeting this week. I’m optimistic because I think that what we need to do is pretty simplistic and it’s easily doable.”
Update (12:40 p.m. ET):
Related: ‘Stuff’s gonna happen’
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)