Jun 19, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Remember last week when Coyotes fans were feeling good about the reported lease deal “in principle” between prospective owners Renaissance Sports Entertainment and the City of Glendale?
Yeah, it appears they may have to dial back that optimism.
At least, until it’s time to dial it back up again.
From the Arizona Republic:
A long-awaited proposal by the prospective owners of the Phoenix Coyotes intended to keep the team in Arizona generated a mostly lackluster response by the Glendale City Council on Tuesday evening.
After the meeting ended, some council members said additional negotiations will be needed before the council will be ready to vote on the matter.
A delay could complicate matters.
NHL executives said they had hoped the council members would vote, or at least give a strong indication of their preference, before a scheduled NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27.
Despite the above, councilman Gary Sherwood remains hopeful.
“What I thought would happen (in the meeting), happened,” Sherwood said, per Fox Sports Arizona. “When you go through some of the deal points, I thought there would be a hang up or two, and there were.
“But I think they are easily overcome, and I think there will be another meeting this week. I’m optimistic because I think that what we need to do is pretty simplistic and it’s easily doable.”
Update (12:40 p.m. ET):
Related: ‘Stuff’s gonna happen’
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)