Jun 12, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Gary Bettman wouldn’t provide an exact deadline for the Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation to be resolved.
Nor would the NHL commissioner talk about potential places where the franchise could be relocated should the most recent prospective owner be unable to strike an arena-management deal with the City of Glendale, which owns the rink where the Coyotes play.
But that lack of specifics aside, the clock is clearly running out on this long-running affair.
And this time, we may even mean it!
“At some point, we’re going to have to make a decision,” said Bettman today in Chicago.
Reporters peppered the commissioner with questions, trying, unsuccessfully, to pin him down on a precise timeline.
Bettman did, however, note that there’s a city council meeting on June 25 and an NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27, so if you’re looking for key dates, those are two of them.
“Stuff’s gonna happen,” he said.
Gary Bettman, asked if a Phoenix decision needs to be made by June 27 BOG: "Maybe."—
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) June 12, 2013
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 0
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)