Jun 12, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Gary Bettman wouldn’t provide an exact deadline for the Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation to be resolved.
Nor would the NHL commissioner talk about potential places where the franchise could be relocated should the most recent prospective owner be unable to strike an arena-management deal with the City of Glendale, which owns the rink where the Coyotes play.
But that lack of specifics aside, the clock is clearly running out on this long-running affair.
And this time, we may even mean it!
“At some point, we’re going to have to make a decision,” said Bettman today in Chicago.
Reporters peppered the commissioner with questions, trying, unsuccessfully, to pin him down on a precise timeline.
Bettman did, however, note that there’s a city council meeting on June 25 and an NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27, so if you’re looking for key dates, those are two of them.
“Stuff’s gonna happen,” he said.
Gary Bettman, asked if a Phoenix decision needs to be made by June 27 BOG: "Maybe."—
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) June 12, 2013
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 135
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (135)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)