Jun 12, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Gary Bettman wouldn’t provide an exact deadline for the Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation to be resolved.
Nor would the NHL commissioner talk about potential places where the franchise could be relocated should the most recent prospective owner be unable to strike an arena-management deal with the City of Glendale, which owns the rink where the Coyotes play.
But that lack of specifics aside, the clock is clearly running out on this long-running affair.
And this time, we may even mean it!
“At some point, we’re going to have to make a decision,” said Bettman today in Chicago.
Reporters peppered the commissioner with questions, trying, unsuccessfully, to pin him down on a precise timeline.
Bettman did, however, note that there’s a city council meeting on June 25 and an NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27, so if you’re looking for key dates, those are two of them.
“Stuff’s gonna happen,” he said.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)