Jun 12, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Gary Bettman wouldn’t provide an exact deadline for the Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation to be resolved.
Nor would the NHL commissioner talk about potential places where the franchise could be relocated should the most recent prospective owner be unable to strike an arena-management deal with the City of Glendale, which owns the rink where the Coyotes play.
But that lack of specifics aside, the clock is clearly running out on this long-running affair.
And this time, we may even mean it!
“At some point, we’re going to have to make a decision,” said Bettman today in Chicago.
Reporters peppered the commissioner with questions, trying, unsuccessfully, to pin him down on a precise timeline.
Bettman did, however, note that there’s a city council meeting on June 25 and an NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27, so if you’re looking for key dates, those are two of them.
“Stuff’s gonna happen,” he said.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)