Jun 17, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
They must be getting tired.
Then again, maybe not. Since the end of the lockout in January, members of the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins have been playing to a playoff-type schedule to make up for lost time caused by the work stoppage.
If fatigue is becoming an issue, one might think it would surface completely in the Stanley Cup Final, especially considering the first two games in this series have gone to overtime. Factor in travel, as well.
“Yeah, I’m sure you get used to it. It’s not going to get any easier the longer you go,” said Bruins’ goalie Tuukka Rask.
“But we’re definitely used to playing every other night. It’s something you learn to control the fatigue factor and save your energy a bit. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue.”
But at least players get the benefit of sitting on the bench for a short time in between shifts.
The goalies throughout the vast majority of the game. No chair.
“It’s definitely different, but you’re standing there, you’re standing for five hours,” said Rask, who made 33 saves in the Bruins’ Game 2 win over the Blackhawks to even the best-of-seven series 1-1.
“You’re obviously not making saves all the time, but you’re still standing and being focused. It’s a lot of mental stress and your legs get tired at some point, too, when you’re standing up for hours.”
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 19
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 17
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)