Jun 16, 2013, 12:34 AM EDT
In eight career Stanley Cup Final games, Jonathan Toews has zero goals. He also only has one goal in 19 contests during the 2013 postseason.
Those are the kind of numbers that will encourage pundits to throw around terms like “gripping the stick too tight.”
While the advanced stats imply that the Chicago Blackhawks captain is putting up a commendable effort, facing the Boston Bruins through two pointless games must be getting on his nerves. He provided a bigger picture take on his team’s frustration after a 2-1 OT loss in Game 2, as the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc reports.
“We just kind of let them play their way and we didn’t make them earn it,” Toews said. “That’s a little disappointing.”
The 25-year-old’s thoughts seemed to ape those of head coach Joel Quenneville, who felt that the Blackhawks played into the Bruins’ hands after a strong opening period.
Whether you attribute his struggles to bad bounces or a deeper problem, the critiques are only going to get louder if Toews doesn’t start scoring.
“I don’t think we played well enough to win that one in overtime at all,” Seabrook said.
Toews and his team need to get back on track as the series shifts to Boston.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)