Jun 16, 2013, 12:34 AM EST
In eight career Stanley Cup Final games, Jonathan Toews has zero goals. He also only has one goal in 19 contests during the 2013 postseason.
Those are the kind of numbers that will encourage pundits to throw around terms like “gripping the stick too tight.”
While the advanced stats imply that the Chicago Blackhawks captain is putting up a commendable effort, facing the Boston Bruins through two pointless games must be getting on his nerves. He provided a bigger picture take on his team’s frustration after a 2-1 OT loss in Game 2, as the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc reports.
“We just kind of let them play their way and we didn’t make them earn it,” Toews said. “That’s a little disappointing.”
The 25-year-old’s thoughts seemed to ape those of head coach Joel Quenneville, who felt that the Blackhawks played into the Bruins’ hands after a strong opening period.
Whether you attribute his struggles to bad bounces or a deeper problem, the critiques are only going to get louder if Toews doesn’t start scoring.
“I don’t think we played well enough to win that one in overtime at all,” Seabrook said.
Toews and his team need to get back on track as the series shifts to Boston.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)