Jun 16, 2013, 12:34 AM EDT
In eight career Stanley Cup Final games, Jonathan Toews has zero goals. He also only has one goal in 19 contests during the 2013 postseason.
Those are the kind of numbers that will encourage pundits to throw around terms like “gripping the stick too tight.”
While the advanced stats imply that the Chicago Blackhawks captain is putting up a commendable effort, facing the Boston Bruins through two pointless games must be getting on his nerves. He provided a bigger picture take on his team’s frustration after a 2-1 OT loss in Game 2, as the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc reports.
“We just kind of let them play their way and we didn’t make them earn it,” Toews said. “That’s a little disappointing.”
The 25-year-old’s thoughts seemed to ape those of head coach Joel Quenneville, who felt that the Blackhawks played into the Bruins’ hands after a strong opening period.
Whether you attribute his struggles to bad bounces or a deeper problem, the critiques are only going to get louder if Toews doesn’t start scoring.
“I don’t think we played well enough to win that one in overtime at all,” Seabrook said.
Toews and his team need to get back on track as the series shifts to Boston.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 33
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)