Jun 16, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks enjoyed a dominant first period in Game 2, but a 1-0 lead proved insufficient. The Boston Bruins fought their way to a 2-1 OT win on Saturday, prompting Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville to lament how Chicago faded down the stretch.
“Like the second period, we lost the pace of the game in that end of the rink,” Quenneville said. “We had the perfect start to the game and then we stopped doing what made us successful. We stood around and they countered.”
That was especially true when Boston dominated OT, out-shooting Chicago 8-6 while carrying the majority of the play.
It seems as if the Blackhawks stopped playing “their game,” giving way to a grinding affair.
“I thought we slowed ourselves down; I don’t think we got the puck behind them,” Quenneville said. “I think we were in front of them too much and it played into their hands.”
” … Maybe we left something out there [in the first period].”
Of course, it could also have a lot to do with not having much left after playing nearly two full games of hockey in a triple-OT Game 1.
“I don’t think fatigue was an issue on either side,” Sharp said.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)