Jun 16, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks enjoyed a dominant first period in Game 2, but a 1-0 lead proved insufficient. The Boston Bruins fought their way to a 2-1 OT win on Saturday, prompting Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville to lament how Chicago faded down the stretch.
“Like the second period, we lost the pace of the game in that end of the rink,” Quenneville said. “We had the perfect start to the game and then we stopped doing what made us successful. We stood around and they countered.”
That was especially true when Boston dominated OT, out-shooting Chicago 8-6 while carrying the majority of the play.
It seems as if the Blackhawks stopped playing “their game,” giving way to a grinding affair.
“I thought we slowed ourselves down; I don’t think we got the puck behind them,” Quenneville said. “I think we were in front of them too much and it played into their hands.”
” … Maybe we left something out there [in the first period].”
Of course, it could also have a lot to do with not having much left after playing nearly two full games of hockey in a triple-OT Game 1.
“I don’t think fatigue was an issue on either side,” Sharp said.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 47
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)