May 31, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
San Jose’s season ended in disappointment, but there’s still a bright spot.
Because Pittsburgh advanced to the Eastern Conference finals, the Sharks will receive the Penguins’ second-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft from the Douglas Murray trade, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.
Murray, who was dealt to Pittsburgh in late March, netted the Sharks a pair of picks — a second-rounder in 2013 and conditional pick in ’14.
The conditional pick worked like this: If the Pens either won two playoff rounds or re-signed Murray, the pick would be a second-rounder. If neither of those things happened, it would’ve be a third.
So that’s the good news for San Jose.
The potentially better news? The Sharks might not be done moving up the draft board.
The Ryane Clowe-to-New York trade also included a conditional pick — if Clowe re-signs with the Rangers, the 2014 fifth-round pick sent to the Sharks will be upgraded to a second-rounder.
Clowe, 30, has already said he’d “love” to stay in New York.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)