May 31, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
San Jose’s season ended in disappointment, but there’s still a bright spot.
Because Pittsburgh advanced to the Eastern Conference finals, the Sharks will receive the Penguins’ second-round pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft from the Douglas Murray trade, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.
Murray, who was dealt to Pittsburgh in late March, netted the Sharks a pair of picks — a second-rounder in 2013 and conditional pick in ’14.
The conditional pick worked like this: If the Pens either won two playoff rounds or re-signed Murray, the pick would be a second-rounder. If neither of those things happened, it would’ve be a third.
So that’s the good news for San Jose.
The potentially better news? The Sharks might not be done moving up the draft board.
The Ryane Clowe-to-New York trade also included a conditional pick — if Clowe re-signs with the Rangers, the 2014 fifth-round pick sent to the Sharks will be upgraded to a second-rounder.
Clowe, 30, has already said he’d “love” to stay in New York.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)