May 31, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
Yesterday, we wrote about Marc-Andre Fleury’s future with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Today, Ray Shero shed some light on where the beleaguered goalie stands.
The Pens GM admitted he didn’t know what would’ve become of his club had it not yanked Fleury in favor of Tomas Vokoun during the opening round against New York.
“Without having Tomas Vokoun to go to in Game 5 against the Islanders,” Shero told reporters, “I’m not sure what happens.”
Vokoun was named the starting goalie with Fleury struggling, the series tied 2-2 and memories being stirred of last year’s playoff meltdown against Philadelphia.
Fleury looked equally lost against the Flyers in 2012 — posting a 2-4 record with a .834 save percentage and 4.63 GAA — but the Pens were essentially forced to roll with him as their starter (his backup, 34-year-old Brent Johnson, had a poor regular season and wasn’t an option to start.)
This year, they weren’t.
Vokoun was brought aboard as insurance for exactly this type of moment. He’s handled the situation about as well as anyone in the organization could’ve hoped — 6-1, .941 save percentage, 1.85 GAA — and, as Shero alluded to, may have saved Pittsburgh’s season.
Not that the Pens GM is overly surprised.
“[Vokoun has been one of the better goalies in the NHL,” he explained. “He just happened to be playing in Nashville and Florida, not in the media spotlight.”
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 19
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 17
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)